Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many to plant

Posted by perezjuanf 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 16:43

I plan to plant my Passifloras by my backyard fence which is 75ft x 6 feet, considering that passifloras tend to grow and expand how many plants should I contemplate to plant and how far apart

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many to plant

Passiflora vines are not a dense vine - it will take many, MANY vines, planted about 2 feet apart to get the fence covered. It will be VERY expensive unless you buy fruit and start your own from seeds. I planted all the seeds from a supermarket fruit, many years ago, and got around 50 seedlings, but it takes time for them to be developed enough to plant in the ground.

o
RE: How many to plant

My one flavicarpa filled out that size fence withing 2 years and then some. The first year it filled out about 10 feet and the next year it turned into a monster. It really depends on what passiflora and which zone your in.
If you're in a hurry plant 5, if not 2 is enough. With 5 plants you will have your work cut out for you after they take off.
They will try to take over your yard, so be prepared if your planting flavicarpas and edulis.
The picture is 1 single flavicarpa plant and shows less than half of it's total size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here