Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloysia_gw

pura vida

aloysia
17 years ago

I need help! I bought passiflora pura vida few weeks ago, it drooped and most of the leaves went yellow. I don't understand what's wrong and I don't know what to do.

Comments (24)

• angie83
    17 years ago

I got one also a few days ago on ebay this is how it looks.I think it needs some iron and less water but hope it gets better does yours look like this.

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, not at all, mine has three lobed leaves.

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a link

Here is a link that might be useful: patioplant

• angie83
    17 years ago

Oops mine is a vitifloria sorry I have a different plant hehehe.I love the pura vida its hard to find.thats one for my want list .

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Do you have any idea what the problem might be? While I was transplanting it I saw that it had a small root.
    Funny, because here in Croatia it's hard to find any passiflora and then the one new passiflora I have is rare!

• angie83
    17 years ago

Not sure but sounds like it might be overwatering thats the easiest way to get yellow leafs I use to put mine in to big a pot and they stayed so wet but now i use smaller pots and water very little and they snap back fast.Could be needing some cheat Iron but the small root could be it was a cutting and hasnt got a big root ball yet the pura vida is from P.Amethyst x P.racmosa and then getting the seed to sprout .I can never get both to bloom on same day hehehe Hope some one will be more help the only time I lose a pssiflora is when I over water and baby it to much the dont like the attention .Good luck let me know if you ever get a cutting Id love to have one.

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm very stingy when it comes to watering (because I have passifloras in a very dry garden), I only watered it once and the soil seems still too moist.
    I read somewhere that it is possible to freeze the pollen until you have another flower to cross it with.
    I hope my passiflora will prevail and I'll be able to take cuttings, but I doubt that you could get a cutting alive and well all the way from Europe...
    Thank you!

• karyn1
    17 years ago

It does sound like it didn't have a well developed root system and is experiencing some degree of shock from being moved and transplanted. Can you get any Superthrive or B-1 for plants in Croatia? If not look for a horticultural additive that contains vitamins and hormones or some type of root stimulating solution. They aren't fertilizers but are used in addition to them. Chopped up banana peels are also good for passion flowers. I dig a little bit into the soil around my plants a few times a year. I don't remember where I read about it but my plants love the extra potassium. If that's a P. amethyst cross it should be a pretty strong plant, not cold hardy but a fast grower and a prolific bloomer. As long as the tips are healthy and you see signs of new growth I wouldn't worry about the old leaves dropping.
    Karyn

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have no idea, I've never heard of it, but I'll try to find it. There's no sign of any growth! That's what got me worried. Thanks a lot, I'm on my way to the kitchen right now to peel some bananas...

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Are the growth tips dry? What about the stems? As long as the stems are still pliable and green I wouldn't give up. How big is the plant? Is it big enough for you to take some cuttings to try and root? Some passies root very easily in water with a bit of bottom heat. I have a Lavender Lady which is very close to the amethyst and it roots in water. You can also provide bottom heat for the potted plant to help it develop it's root system as long as it's still alive. Good luck.
    Karyn

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not sure it's still alive! The only growth tip is dry and it has only one stem, the plant is very small. I was hoping that it would get some new growth from the root.
    I had no idea that p. can root in water!
    I'll provide bottom heat, I'm even afraid of looking at it, it seems to be getting worse.
    Thanks a lot, Karyn!

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey!!
    You might be able to find liquid seaweed.. It is used organically to start plants/seeds off and provide a healthy root system..
    Chena

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! Looks like I have to go shopping tomorrow!

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Chena's right. Kelp extract is great for plants. I use it on everything in addition to fertilizer. If you can't find it there I can give you the names of some of the makers and you could see if they ship to Europe of if there are any distributors over seas.
    Karyn

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all, you're great!
    I'm sure I'll be able to find something, I'll let you know tomorrow (it is 7 p.m. here, otherwise I would be rushing to the store).

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey aloysia!!
    Is yours a Pura Vida Red??? I have one that is suppose to be here in April.. I am very excited about it.. I wish you all the luck for yours.. It doesn't look THAT bad..I think you will be able to get her back right ....I'll keep my fingers crossed...
    Chena

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's something between red and purple, as far as I can tell from the picture, should be an unusual color. Great! I'm off to the store, I hope I'll find something that will help.
    Thanks, Chena!

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found a mineral root growth booster, I already watered my passiflora with it, I hope it will do some good...

• chena
    17 years ago

I'm am sure you will be just fine....I hope you will let us know how it goes and you know we(okay me) just LOVE pic's!!!!!
    Chena

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sure, if I see some improvement, because it looks so sad right now - one (partly) dried up stem.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

A word of advice--when a plant is ailing from shock (often a new cutting gotten in trade or from eBay) it's easy to over-do fertilizer, water, root stimulator, etc. This can be worse than doing nothing, so moderation is the key. I've had young cuttings that lost all of their leaves as well. In fact, I've got a p. Fledermouse right now that dropped every leaf over a two-week period, and is now just a green stick. Transplant shock will do that, often no matter how much you baby the plant, particularly if the plant comes to you bareroot. Just be patient. Keep the soil moist but not wet, and give it a reasonable amount of light (assuming it's been hardened off) and you will probably be rewarded with new growth from the bare stem several weeks down the road. Even if the stem dies all the way back, surprisingly small roots can sprout new growth. I had a p. Sanguinolenta that dried to a crisp one weekend when I was away. I cursed a lot, but kept watering the little pot twice a week and after six weeks or so I was rewarded with a new green leaf poking up through the soil. Two months later it's still only 2" high, but has half a dozen new leaves and is gaining strength by the day.

My long-winded point is don't panic, and don't give up.

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I brought it all the way from Italy and then transplanted it, it did suffer from a lot of shock! Although the other two I brought (alata and citrina) are doing just fine. How often do you think I have to water it with that root stimulating thing, because there are no instructions on the bottle.
    Thank you a lot! I need all the reassurance I can get!

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I'd add the root stim once a week for 3 weeks. Make sure that it doesn't get soggy. If you can provide some kind of bottom heat that will help also.
    Karyn

• aloysia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a lot! I will do so!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz