Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roly0217

Passiflora incarnata ?!?!?

roly0217
14 years ago

Hello everybody !!! I got this plant at Home Depot about 1 and a half weeks ago as my first Passiflora. It had a tag that read Passiflora incarnata but for some reason I don't think it looks like an incarnata but then again I know nothing much about them yet. Here are some pictures

Comments (6)

• jblaschke
    14 years ago

Nope. That's a Belotii, a hybrid of caerulea and alata.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I agree with Jayme. I like P. Belotii. It's a good bloomer for me. I had one that I sunk inground that snaked under my fence and almost covered a dead tree in my neighbors yard. It looked so pretty that my neighbor put off having the tree removed until the end of the season. If it did that in a few months in my zone I can't imagine what it would do in zone 10.

• roly0217
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awesome !!!! Thanks for the response now all of the pictures of the x belotii look just like mine. Now I can label it correctly. Thank you very much once again. Hopefully the other one that I purchased as incarnata will definetely be it but I'm not sure as to when would I see blooms. This is a small plant now in a 6 inch pot so I'm not sure if I'll see blooms this year. I definetely hope so. Once again thank you very much !!!

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

Lowes also had them labelled as incarnata and I just knew it wasn't like the incarnata or maypops that I had before. Since I wanted to have it as a host plant for Zebra Longwings, I didn't want to get the wrong one. Incarnata's flowers are light purple underneath and the top parts are frilly, not straight like in your picture.
    The leaves are 3 lobed and a little toothed, not much but not as smooth as in your picture. It has been my understanding that maypops dies back in the winter and since we had such a cold one, it hasn't come up as it would have in the past. Nurseries are having a hard time stocking it. I have search all over for it and am desperate for my butterflies when they show up. If you find one, especially at a nursery where they wouldn't have been sprayed, please let me know here. Thanks!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Another one that looks very similar to belotii is allardii. I'm still trying to figure out if I lost it over the winter or not. Several of my passion vines are now tagless, as usual.

Mboston a great host vine for GF's and ZLW's is P. suberosa. It's not the prettiest passie but the caterpillars love it. It grows wild all over So FL and is very easy to start from seed.

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

I have Suberosa throughout my yard and I agree the Gfs love it and it didn't die back this winter and will ready for them. However, here the ZLWs here don't use it. They prefer to lay their eggs in large clusters and there aren't tendrils on the Suberosa for them to grasp onto like the Incarnata. At least that has been my experience in the past.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner