Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roly0217

Looking for Passiflora quadrangularis vendors

roly0217
14 years ago

Hello everybody. Just like the header states I'm looking for Passiflora quadrangularis. I've got one from Spring Hill Nursery but it looks more dead than anything else. I would like to get a nice plant from a good vendor or from some of you.

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Grassy Knolls has Purple Tiger (wait list) which is a quadrangularis cross and is quite beautiful. Logees lists it but honestly I'd never buy from them. Have you checked Ebay? There's some excellent sellers. Good luck.

• roly0217
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I did check eBay but all I can find are seeds. How long for the seeds to germinate and be blooming size? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie to this. Ask me about orchids and I can talk for hours. Passifloras are new to me.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I have terrible luck with quadrangularis seed, even when fresh, but the plants are pretty easy to care for. You might want to look for P. alata "Ruby Glow" which has a similar bloom and is easy to grow. Almost Eden has it in stock. I've bought several plants from them, not passion vines, but have always been happy with the quality of their plants. You might be able to find it at other nurseries or Ebay.

• roly0217
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn I followed your advice and ordered the alata from Almost Eden. The flowers are very similar to the quadrangularis and I'm going to try some of the quadrangularis seeds and see what happens. If I germinate some I'll just grow them and the plant them along the chain link fence.

• roly0217
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My quadrangularis seeds are on their way. They were cultivated 1.5 weeks ago and sent from Belize to the person I purchasef them from so they are fairly fresh. I will be soaking them in OJ for 24? or 48? hours and then plant them in a dome tray. The seller told me that she has had about 85% germination with the dome and a bit better with the paper towel method. I will try the dome since I'm not acquainted with the last one.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

If they are really that fresh no pretreatment might be necessary but since I wouldn't believe everything a seller says I'd probably just go ahead and soak them, 24-48 hrs.

A lot of people use the paper towel method for seeds. Personally I don't like it but it's very easy. Just fold a paper towel and moisten it. Made sure it's not soggy and place your seeds on the towel and fold it over on them then slide the paper towel into a baggie, seal and place somewhere warm. Check periodically to see if they are germinating. Once you see a root emerge plant them in soil. If they germinate in the bag and you leave them too long the root will grow into the paper. If that happens just rip the paper around the root, don't try to remove it. The paper will disintigrate in the soil. Make sure the paper towel doesn't dry out. Good luck.

• roly0217
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks karyn for the info on the paper towel method. I think I'll still do the dome since I purchased it already when I went to the store last. Or i might do half and half and see the outcome. Thanks again for the info.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County