Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krstofer_gw

Cloning box questions...

Krstofer
16 years ago

I've gotten a few cloning box questions. Figured I'd answer them here.

what if I used, for instance, a 2 liter soda bottle instead of that

huge 5 gal jug? and does all the co2 really make THAT huge a difference?

as in, would it be anywhere near as successful if I skip that part of

the setup?

You could use a 2 liter sure. I've used those 3 liter bottles for the co2.

Does it make a big difference? Honestly I don't know, but the cuttings will be in an enclosed space- Don't know how much they breathe as they do they'll use up teh co2 in that space. If it's not replaced (open the lid, make some, etc) they'll die.

what use exactly was the cap on the jug, other than airtightness?

would a hole drilled in a bottle cap and securely duct taped be sufficient?

It's just airtight. If you use fish-airline hose just drill the hole a little smaller than the hose & force it through. It'll seal well enough.

would 2 23 watt CFLs be sufficient to light a box maybe half to a third

the size of yours there?

Sure- At least I think so. I use 2 of those bulbs above each of my seedling flats & the kids do fine.

would it be enough to line the inside of the lid with the shiny side of

aluminum foil instead?

Yup. Mylar is just alumanized plastic. Get it near naked electricity & you'll find that out really fast.

what's the significance of the hydric acid vs water?

Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the unstable radical Hydroxide, the components of which are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol....

It's a chemical name for water. Just plain water. H2O.

I can't really tell from the picture - how airtight is the lid, if at

all? and how did you make it?

It's the lid that came with the box... So I don't really know how airtight it is. Somewhat to not very, I'd guess. Like it might keep out ants but not keep in mustard gas.

If the co2 is going in the pressure must be equalized- An equal amount of air must be able to escape or you have a popping risk. (I'd say "detonation" but.. betcha that co2 can't attain much more than 10 pounds of pressure.. Which might make something pop rather than detonate.)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County