Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19969240

P. Bryonioides -Anyone have a photo?

User
18 years ago

Hi,

I've searched the internet and found four photos of four different P. Bryonioides plants.

Does anyone have a photo of P. Bryonioides they could send to me, or post to the board?

Thank you,

Robert

Comments (22)

• Ethane Zizyphus
    18 years ago

Are you looking for flowers or leaves?

• User
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ethane,
    I'm looking for photos of both flowers and leaves. I'd like to use them to properly identify the plant if I can find it in the wild. The photos I've found so far are very confusing, because some of the plants have been misidentified. If you could post or email me some photos I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Robert

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

Robert,
    Here is a picture I took of p. bryonioides at the Tucson Botanical Garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora Bryonioides Picture at Flickr

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

As you can read on the comment at Flickr, I have my doubts as to the validity of its label because the plant that is right next to is labeled as mexicana although it is obvious to me that it is not. (see link)
    The only information that I can base my doubts on is the description in the Passiflora: Passionflowers of the World book which has a photo and a drawing of the leaf. I didn't see it flower, but the leaves on the plant I saw look remakably similar to p. caerulea.
    Are you trying to find bryonioides in the wild? (If you do find it, I would love a cutting. I have many things to trade, including a plant found near there: mexicana.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora Mexicana Leaf Comparison

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Ethane,
    Thanks for the photos. The leaves look like they might be more strap-like than a caerulea, but it is hard to tell. Properly identifying passiflora seems to be quite the challenge! I don't know how a P. mexicana could be misidentified (the leaves on my plant look the same as yours).

I've seen a photo on the U.A. website that allegedly shows a P. bryonioides flower, but the photo is definitely of a caerulea. A nurseryman in Tucson told me that another nursery was selling caeruleas as bryonioides (it wasn't Desert Survivors).

From what I understand, the plant should have fuzzy leaves, but that is about all I know. I would like to find it in the wild, but right now, I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I've ordered both of the definitive passiflora books in hope that they will help.

I have another ID challenge that jblaschke has helped me with. I have a plant that was supposed to be an Arizona passion vine of some type, but looks much more like P. foetida var. lanuginosa. Many thanks to jblaschke for helping me to identify this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Probably a foetida var. lanuginosa

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

That is a pretty foetida. It would be interesting to locate the true arizonica, which opens only at night. So are you going to true to find bryonioides in the wild? The Macdougal/Ulmer book says that the undersides of the leaves are fuzzy, but the tops are smooth. The "bryonioides" from the Tucson BG did not, which is another supporting arguement for my doubts.

• josh_r
    16 years ago

i believe i have found this plant in the wild... 3 plants to be exact. i know exactly where they are. the leaves are slightly fuzzy from what i remember and i also found information in a book (passionflowers of the world) that it is one of the few species that dies back to the ground every year. the plants i found die back every year. they are fond of growing out of rock faces and cliff faces. the plants are very small with tiny flowers. i could be wrong, but i do think it is bryonioides. i was smack in the middle of its range. the habitat is perfect.

• jcastek
    16 years ago

Hello,
    P. bryonioides resembles P. morifolia.
    The fruits are blue and small.
    You can see the leaves and fruits on pages of Czech Passiflora enthusiasts http://cmkpm.ic.cz
    at
    http://cmkpm.ic.cz/stranky/galerie/album1/Plody%20-%20fruits/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: CMKPM gallery - fruits

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Josh, congratulations on your find! Now the question is, have you been able to collect seed? I'm certain there are a few folks here who'd like to trade. :-)

• josh_r
    16 years ago

actually, im going down there for labor day weekend and i plan on taking many pictures as well as trying to harvest seed. ive seen it in bloom and in fruit, but the fruit was not near ready. do you think this species can be propagated by clippings?? they are very small plants and i would hate to take a clipping if it wont grow.

-josh

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Most plant species can be propagated via clippings... the question is, how difficult is it? Incarnata is very reluctant to root from cuttings, so rarely is. Holoscerecia is even more stubborn, but since it's so rarely found in cultivation, people keep trying.

Since bryonioides is so rare in cultivation, I don't know what to tell you. Seed is probably the most fool-proof way of getting a plant, but by the same token, we all know how stubborn passiflora seed are. Since it's an honest-to-goodness annual, however, one would assume that the seeds would be prone to easy germination simply to ensure survival.

• josh_r
    16 years ago

so if i were to take a clipping how should i care for it?? is there any particular place along the stem i should make the cut (stem base, joint, leaf node, etc)?? if i find a seed pod, i should only pick if it is ride correct? and how would i try to germinate the seed?? any info would be great. thank you and take care

-josh

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Take a look at the horticulture page on PassionFlow at the link below. Myles answers all of your questions in general, and if you drop him a line, he might be able to give you more specific information about bryonioides in particular.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Flow

• josh_r
    16 years ago

well, i went looking again for what i think is bryonioides. i did not find any of the plants i had seen before. it was disappointing. i did however find Passiflora foetida var. arizonica. i took pics and will post some links in the next couple days. if anyone is willing to meet up and help me look one more time before the season is up let me know. take care

-josh

• josh_r
    16 years ago

well, i did a little research and found this

http://seinet.asu.edu/seinet/symbiota/sonora/taxa/taxaprofile.php?taxon=Passiflora%20bryonioides

the description matches the plant i found perfectly. looks like i may have found bryonioides. i need to find more information to be sure because foetida var arizonica is similar as well

• josh_r
    16 years ago

hey guys, heres the pics from my tri

here is a habitat shot. if you look very closely, you can see a plant in the middle.
    http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10912/random_860.jpg

here are some pics of the plant and how it grows.
    http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10912/random_858.jpg
    http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10912/random_854.jpg

another plant.
    http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10912/random_847.jpg

and here are some closer shots of the plants
    http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10912/random_849.jpg
    http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10912/random_851.jpg
    http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10912/random_848.jpg

i am wanting to make another trip down in a week or so. if anyone who is serious and wont destroy the plants or take the entire plant wants to join, let me know. take care

-josh

• desertdwellr
    16 years ago

Definitely bryonioides, look for a bi-glandular petiole...two tiny barrel-like structures right before the main portion of the leaf. Habitat looks very familiar...Sycamore Canyon I would guess?
    I grow most of mine from cuttings but have seed grown as well. I work at Desert Survivors Nursery, Passiflora bryonioides and Passiflora arizonica were our featured plants for our last monsoon sale....we'll have more out for sale on October 6th and 7th for our Fall Plant sale. We are the first nursery to sell the REAL bryonioides, plenty of other places sell mis-id'd caerulea as bryonioides. If you wanna chat more Passiflora drop by and ask for me.
    Aaron Chambers

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing Josh! Very cool photos--I've never actually seen byronioides before.

Aaron, Desert Survivors needs to work up some sort of mail order business for us folks too far away from Arizona to drop by!

• josh_r
    16 years ago

"look for a bi-glandular petiole...two tiny barrel-like structures right before the main portion of the leaf."

that is one of the first things i noticed about the plant when i found it. im very excited this is actually bryonioides. it is a beautiful plant!

-josh

• desertdwellr
    16 years ago

Can't say I know the first thing about mail order, shipping, Agriculture permits,etc.....but if you are ever in Tucson look us up.

Hey Josh....have you tried the fruit yet? Was out last Thursday and found lots of fruit...only 2 ripe though, probably about another week or so. Wait for them to fall off the vine naturally, they should be soft like a marshmallow, bite off the tip and squeeze out the goo...good stuff.
    Later,
    Aaron

• Ethane Zizyphus
    16 years ago

Josh,
    did you end up taking a cutting then? Congrats on the cool find!
    -Ethan

• fredw
    16 years ago

I can't seem to open Josh's photos. Another site with great Arizona plant photos is www.erikenderson.com

all of Arizona's passiflora's are on there.

Fred

Here is a link that might be useful: www.erikenderson.com

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH