Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Passiflora tripartita ID and cuttings for postage

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

Hi,

I posted a while back on a P. tripartita seedling that I bought on Ebay from Potato Rock Nursery.

The plant got its first bloom last fall and I wanted to get an ID as to the variety. It was sold to me as P. tripartita var. mollissima (the "true" mollissima as opposed to P. tarminiana, the plant generally sold as "P. mollissima").

I am curious whether it is in fact var. mollissima. I don't know the ins and outs of P. tripartita to be able to distinguish the various varieties.

I'm also pruning it back. If anyone is interested in cuttings let me know. I have found them difficult to root in the past although I succeeded once. Whatever I can't send off in the next day or two I'll probably just try rooting outside. The plant is a high altitude species and will probably not be happy in places with warm summers. It has never been damaged by cold here (down to about 26 probably), but I doubt it can go much below 25.

The plant before pruning:

The cuttings (I can send 10 or more to increase your chances):

Comments (7)

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

I can't ID it, but I just wanted to say that it is a very nice looking bloom.

Josh

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Josh (I owe you an email...).

I potted up most of the cuttings: 20 in a 1 gallon pot full of perlite, 15 in a 1 gallon pot full of peat:perlite. I covered them with clear plastic bags and put them outside in the full shade. Temps should be typically in the 60s/40s over the next few weeks, warming to about 70 in April. I'll try to remember to report back on the progress. I still have 15 cuttings and I need to finish pruning the vine if someone is looking for some in the near future. I need to finish pruning very soon before the plant starts setting buds.

• whiteapple
    14 years ago

Any chance the offer for cuttings is still open?....

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whiteapple, I have cuttings that I'm trying to root outside now, some in perlite, some in peat:perlite. There are no signs of roots yet, but the cuttings look really good so far. If I get a lot to root you are welcome to one, two, more(?) depending on how successful I am. Hopefully something will happen in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Otherwise, I'll have more unrooted cuttings at some point; probably in the fall.

Regarding the ID--I contacted someone who grows both P. tripartita var. mollissima and var. azuayensis. He's confident mine is var. mollissima. He has one that is very similar, except the floral tube is (even) longer. Since I only have one flower to look at so far I don't know whether this difference is significant. The plant has a number of buds now, so soon I'll be able to see for sure.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since there's a lot of confusion out there between P. tripartita var. mollissima (the "true" mollissima) and P. tarminiana, the invasive species that is generally sold as Passiflora mollisima, I thought I'd provide pictures of both.

The differences are very clear when one looks at the flowers, so I'll post my photo again (sorry for the repeat), and a link below to a picture from Myles Irvine's site of P. tarminina. You can then click back and forth and easily see the difference. Or better, open two windows and look at them side by side.

P. tarminiana flowers open flat or slightly reflexed; those of P. tripartita var. mollissima are campanulate (bell-shaped). However, I think you can see that that is only one difference between the two very different flowers.

P. tripartita var. mollissima ("true" mollissima):

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora tarminiana, incorrectly called P. mollissima

• chills71
    14 years ago

good luck on your cuttings! Keep us posted on their progress. Some varieties seem easy to root while others I've sank into a medium and while they never seem to dessicate, they don't seem to root either.

~Chills

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I checked the cuttings and one has (barely) started its first root--one of the cuttings in peat:perlite. So that took a month, which isn't bad because they are outside and we've had a lot of cool weather (for us)--many days in the 50s. Hopefully many more will root.

Sponsored