Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rialira

passiflora triloba

rialira
16 years ago

so a bunch of friends and I took a random road trip out to logee's about an hour east, and I picked up a passiflora triloba and a mandevilla "my fair lady."

it looks like a big heavy healthy vine. leaves are a bit speckled. it's a HUGE vine falling all over the place in a little 2 inch pot, so I repotted it and put it in a west facing window for now, and I figure I'll move it to the HUGE south glass slider door after letting it acclimate to its new pot for a few days. it's still WAY too cold to even think about taking it outside.

is there anything specific to triloba that I should know? any other advice would be appreciated.

oh, I also nicked a few growing tips from the huge miniata and alatocaerulea plants they had there... shhh. what's the best way to root them? I have them in a cup of water in an enclosed transparent makeshift dome (I took the top lid from a spindle of 100 dvds and punched two holes in it). I've never had good luck with rooting hormone and soil, and the ambient temperature in my house is about 60 degrees. any advice?

thanks!

Ri

Comments (3)

• Ethane Zizyphus
    16 years ago

I hope too much time hasn't passed for your cuttings, but there are a lot of different ways to root passiflora. Sometimes all you need to do is put them in water. But here's what I have found to work: Trim the leaves (essentially cut them in half) to reduce transpiration (i.e. stop them from dehydrating) then cut off the bottom most leaves, usually about three or so. Each cutting will probably be 8 to 12 inches long, which is mainly for convenience (If they are too long they are harder to keep from dehydrating and harder to fit in the bag). I then moisten the end with some saliva or water, and dip the stem in some rooting powder (I have two kinds: roottone and take root, I use which ever is closest to me at the time). Then I stick the cutting in a pot of perlite and pour on some water. Then keep the cutting humid by putting a bag over it or something equivalent. I'll have some bottom heat and also fluorescent lights. On a good week, I'll have roots within a week. I generally leave them alone, making sure they don't dry out, until I see roots poking out the bottom holes. Usually you don't the cutting to be waterlogged, just moist. You generally have to fiddle around with things until you find something that works for you and you can repeat the results. Of course, some plants are harder to root than others. Good luck!

• rialira
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks so much for your advice :D I pretty much did JUST that, sans the rooting hormone because it has NEVER worked for me. maybe it's just TOO cold in here (usually barely breaks 60 degrees).

thanks again!

Ria

• Ethane Zizyphus
    16 years ago

I;m not sure if the rooting hormone makes as much of a difference as a warm, humid environment. But all rooting hormones are not created equal. I had a woman at hydroponics store tell the powdered stuff was "sh*t", and to use the gels. I bought a bottle of some gel, and I don't think it did anything. Maybe I was doing it wrong. I just dip it in some powder for a little extra insurance; if anything I don't think it hurts. But you'll notice "Take Root" and "Rootone" have very different ingredients, I don't think they even share any ingredients.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths