Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickisking_gw

passiflora parritae!!!

nickisking
13 years ago

I just got my six foot tall passiflora parritae friday!!!!score! i have been wanting this plant for so long! cool thingis its a mature plant that flowered last year and should be loaded withbuds soon. nice add to my passi collection! and yes i will be taking cuttings and rooting them once it settles in, on ebay. very few thingsmake life better

Comments (8)

• mark4321_gw
    13 years ago

Nick,

I'll be blunt. I'm skeptical of this, because I've never heard of a P. parritae that is mature and/or blooming size at 6 feet. I've never actually heard of the plant blooming in a pot, and I've asked around a bit. I was told (by people at Strybing) that it was likely it could bloom in a 5 gallon pot, although they hadn't heard of anyone doing this. 6 feet is a still a small P. parritae.

Please elaborate: where did you buy the plant? what is the evidence it is truly P. parritae? What is the evidence it has already bloomed? Was it cut back to only 6 feet?

A photo of course would be nice, but it wouldn't tell everything.

I am of course willing to be surprised, but I will be very surprised.

• eristal
    13 years ago

Hi Nick,

I hate to be a bubble burster, but I agree with mark4321. Hopefully, you live in a climate that will be great for the plant, and/or you have the cool greenhouse. In time, there is no reason it should not bloom if you have the right conditions.

• nickisking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

first off passiflora parritae will flower after reaching 3-4 meters or 9-12 feet, ill go buy a camera so i can show u the cut where it was cut to about five feet to make easyer for shipping. and has plenty of new shoots. not only do i have a cool greenhouse known as a springhouse. and also the right shade coverage for it. I have in my collection three other Tasconia-type passifloras that do extremly well and flower through the year on and off so im certin i will be just fun as two the five gallon remark i dont care what the Strybing people said. In my experiance a two gallon will be more then fine. ALL and I mean ALL passiflora flower better and more often with well bound roots. The five gallon would only increase new shoots and growth not flowering. If I was to grow a large plant like strybring i would grow up a tree. But im not.

• eristal
    13 years ago

Hello Nick,

I would disagree with some of your assertions but it sounds like you have it all figured out. Congratulations on your new plant. I wish you the best of luck.

Eric Wortman

• daveh_sf
    13 years ago

I'm very skeptical too. I'd like to see a photo. I've never seen a parritae bloon anywhere near that size. Where did you get it?

• pshawn
    12 years ago

Nickisking:

I'm not sure if you realize that some of the people who were asking probing questions about your new plant have grown hundreds or thousands of Passiflora plants. I have only grown a few hundred Passiflora, only a few dozen tacsonia, and only a handful of P. parritae plants, but I can tell you this much about my experience:

My most mature P. parritae is over 5 meters tall, is very lush, is in the perfect conditions for the species, and has not yet bloomed.

I have never heard of a P. parritae blooming in a pot. I am hoping mine might bloom this year. I also hope that yours does. But we would be the first as far as I or anyone I've asked knows. If you know of someone who has flowered P. parritae in a pot, I'd be thrilled to hear about it.

I would be careful about generalizations like "ALL and I mean ALL passiflora flower better and more often with well bound roots." I can tell you in my experience many Passiflora flower better and more often when planted in the ground with tons of room to grow.

just my two cents.

• eristal
    12 years ago

Shawn, you are my hero...

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I think the "king" has left the room : )

Sponsored