Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

What's wrong

karyn1
17 years ago

Some weird affliction has struck one of my passies and I have no idea what it is. I got a small incarnata with a nice root ball. I potted it up about 3 weeks ago and it had been growing well inside. All of a sudden all the branches have gone limp. The longest portion of new growth was about 8" with lots of foliage. It hasn't been over or under watered and there's no sign of bugs on the plant. I put it on a seed mat to see if that would help but it hasn't. I finally unpotted it and the roots look fine, firm and white and I don't see any kind of bugs in the soil. As a last resort I washed off the roots and now have it soaking in some Thrive Alive B-1. I'll repot it in a sterile mix tomorrow. This is certainly not a fussy, hard to grow variety. Does anyone know what's happening to my plant?

Karyn

Comments (19)

• angie83
    17 years ago

Wow most mine will wilt from heat but perk right up fast I had one do that a while back I cut it way back and it came back never did figuare out why it wilted .Hope it comes back for ya Im not a big fan of incarnatas they seem to pop up every were and never were I planted them.Karyn have you tried to misting them sometimes that helps.Let us know how it goes.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

That is really wierd. Be interesting to see what is it.
    Since there is no bugs and it is all the branches going limp at once, it seems like it must be a viral, fungal problem or a break or lesion low on the stem. My guess for this time of year (cool wet springtime etc.) would be fungal like some type of fusurium wilt. Of course it could be something that came with the plant because passies have great immune systems and it could have been suppressed and now is showing symptoms due to some type of stress.

Here is some things about diseases in passiflora (you may have already seen it lol) Scroll down to diseases.

Let us know what happens. I know some growers use h202 (hydrogen peroxide) 3% mixed with water to water plants to kill fungal diseases. I have done so at times as well.
    Let us know what happens. At least it is in capable caring o it may have a chance :)
    ~SJN

Here is a link that might be useful: passiflora disease

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the links. I'm thinking it must be some soil borne fungus but I have no idea what. It's been inside since I got it. Even though it's supposedly hardy it came up from TX and hasn't been hardened off so I didn't want to shock it with our cold temps. The leaves and new stems were perfectly green and normally shaped with no discoloration and the main stem is unbroken and firm. The roots are also firm with no discoloration. It's still soaking bare root in the B-1. I cut back all the limp growth and am back to what it looked like when I got it. As soon as I get off my lazy behind I'm going to repot it in some new soil. This was definitely a weird one. I'll let you all know if it recovers. Who would have thought that of all my passies I'd have trouble with a freakin' Maypop? lol
    Karyn

• angie83
    17 years ago

Karyn hows your plant doing is he better.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have no idea. I repotted it and it's now sitting outside. There's a main woody stem that's still alive so I'll wait and see if it puts out any new growth.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Strange. I've not encountered anything like this with my incarnata. Closest I came was last year when I started a bunch of incarnata cuttings. They put out new shoots and grew vigorously for two weeks or so, then abruptly went limp and died. Turns out none of them had put out any roots (which I later found is a common problem with trying to root incarnata cuttings).

But you have roots, so I don't know what to suggest, other than sit back and let the plant take care of itself. Incarnata are generally rugged things. I expect it'll bounce back eventually.

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

My large Incense vine did something like this last summer. A large portion of the vine coming off the same shoot just wilted unexpectedly. I thought it was dead, but thought it was odd when the wilted leaves did not die or fall off after a couple of weeks. A few weeks later, the leaves suddenly perked back up and looked like nothing had ever happened. Really weird! I can only guess it was the dreaded latent virus acting up.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nothing is going to perk back up on my plant. I cut the wilted portion off. lol Maybe I should have waited. Oh well, I'll see if anything starts growing out of what's left of the stem. I'm guessing that is was a virus of some sort and the stress of shipping and transplanting caused it to become active.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

I don't know of any latent virus that is deadly to passis. Once conditions improve, the plants immune systems suppress the virus and things return to normal. My Incense will stress at the height of summer when rain is scarce, and again in the fall when it gets nippy out. But symptoms never get worse than chlorotic-looking leaves.

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Hi Karyn: Did you ever get the Maypops up and growing? All mine from Jim (Texas) didn't make it. I thought it was due to our unusual and unexpected long Freeze and then drought. He's going to send me some more and I can use all the advice I can get. Want to use them on a steep incline to stop erosion. Gloria

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That one didn't make it but Jayme sent me another that's growing very well. The passies that Jim sent have taken over my yard and look great. They look much more like my incense vines. I'm going to dig some up and leave others in the yard and see what happens in the spring.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Glad to hear the incarnata is doing well for you, Karyn. It's an aggressive rooter, so with a good mulching I expect it should be able to weather your coming winter in good fashion.

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Hi Karyn: How should I plant the Maypops that will soon be coming? What kind of care did you give them initially to give a good start? Did you put in ground right away or did you have them rooting in water? TIA for your help. Gloria

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gloria all the passies from Jim and Jayme were rooted plants. I just dug a hole and planted them. I have the maypop from Jayme in a protected area because I got it fairly recently and I wanted it to be protected it's first winter in my zone. I got an entire trashbag full of passies from Jim very early in the season and planted them all over the place. I even planted the pieces of root with little or no foliage. Everything came up and all are now huge and covered with blooms. I'm not kidding when I say they've taken over the yard. lol
    Karyn

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jayme did you ever get my emails about the P. murucuja?
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Karyn: Without your green thumb, I don't know how it will turn out. OK. So, I just dig a hole and plant them. Now,with something that easy, if they don't grow, I'll be too embarrassed to mention them to you again!!!LOL a lot! As always, I'm impressed with your knowledge and growing skills. Thanks, Gloria

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In your zone i think you'll be in good shape. I don't even have good soil unless I ammend it. Everything is red clay and rocks here. The passies that Jim sent are all in different amounts of light, some morning sun, others afternoon sun and some full sun all day. They are also in different soils, clay. and nice rich soil with lots of organic matter. I've never fertilized them and I rarely water them and we've been experiencing a severe drought. Jim's are the hardiest passies I've ever had. I am going to leave some out over the winter. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me and come back in the spring.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Karyn, sorry, no emails regarding the murucuja--or anything else for that matter. Didja send it to jblaschke@hotmail.com? Try again, and if it doesn't go through I'll give you some alternate addresses.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jayme I'm pretty sure that was the email address I sent them to. It was whatever address you used when you emailed me. I just sent another to the address listed above. Please let me know if you got it.
    Karyn

Sponsored
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Waynesboro City