Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encouraging bloom?

Posted by abq_bob 7 / SS10 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 0:01

I've had a Caerulea for about 4 years, and it only bloomed the first year it was in the ground. It dies to the ground in Winter, but always comes back (very) vigorously in Spring and quickly covers an archway - it's already sending up several shoots, but it hasn't bloomed since year 1.

What's wrong? It gets quite a bit of sun (SE exposure) and regular water - very active growth, but no flowers. It's in a fairly dense planting near my front door, so it's competing (successfully) with an over planting of daylillies and irises, and a lilac bush off to the side. I put it there 'cuz I thought it would help it flower to have it's roots in severe competition.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encouraging bloom?

I'm no expert but it seems like I read that passionflower vines need a little stress to bloom. That if you keep them in very fertile soil, they'll grow leaves like gangbusters but won't flower. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in this understanding.

That doesn't really point to a solution but it's a place to start. I'm keeping mine potted for that reason, but this is only year 2 after starting it from seed last year, so I don't know if I'll get blooms or not.

o
RE: Encouraging bloom?

Sunlight or bright light is what they need to bloom - the more light, the stronger the plant, the more blooms!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here