Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID help for passie vine

Posted by stephanotis_1 8b AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 08 at 0:30

This vine was labeled as Lady Margeret, but now that it has bloomed, it looks nothing like the photos I have seen of other Lady Margerets. Any Ideas on what it could be? If pics of the leaves are needed, let me know and I can take some. Thanks!

Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID help for passie vine

Interesting. It's got the alternating colored petals/sepals going like belotii and allardii, but those have a dark corona. x violacea 'Autopurpurea" has the same form and a light corona like this, but the petals/sepals are more uniformly pink. This is a hybrid that's been repeated many times, so there are a variety of forms floating around out there. The leaf form seems correct for this, so my guess is that you have a violacea variant.

The good news is that it is supposedly easy to cultivate. :-)

o

Ya not Margaret.. As you have figured out. I don't remember what the parents of 'belotti' are- But every time you do a cross you get children who are all over the place between the two parents & perhaps even a few who might cause you to ask "Where did that come from?"

So... Yeah. I'm curious as to if it's fertile- Might get some interesting crosses from it if you choose to play 'breeder'.

o

I presume from your post that this is the first flower? Most likely as the plant settles down and light levels improve the petals and sepals will look more uniform. I think jblaschke is quite correct that it is one of the x violacea variants. The link shows how washed out flowers can become in low light levels with the usually purple P. 'Amethyst' flower being white.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. 'Amethyst'

o

It had a couple of blooms on it when I bought it last year, but I forgot completely what they looked like between then and now. This is the first bloom this year. In checking out different sites, I found two candidates that look really close to mine. Let me know what you think. One is violacea Victoria, and the other is violacea Form #3.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55273/

Here is a link that might be useful: Violacea Victoria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here