Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I grow passionflower in WA?

Posted by DrCindy z8 WA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 0:45

I just saw an article on this vine in one of my garden magazines, and the beautiful flowers took my breath away. I'm wondering if it is hardy in my climate, I'm actually zone 7 in WA state. It would have to go in a container, and I want it to wrap around my deck railing. The summer temps are now regularly in the 70's-80's, but winters can get down to the 20's. Is there any species of passionflower that will work for me? thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I grow passionflower in WA?

Blue-crown would prolly do alright... Or anything that you can cut back & keep inside for the winter.

Sunburst supposedly can survive that low, and edulis might be a contender but I haven't had the oppertunity to test either's hardiness.

If they get big enough in the summer you might be able to mulch the roots well enough that it will regrow in the spring.

Or just have all your pots on rollers. When it gets cold unwrap them from their outdoor roost (being sure to try & root & trade whatever you have to cut off) roll them inside to that bright sunny window or hang a 30 watt circline bulb above them & let them grow slowly for the winter. Then when it warms enough in the spring.. Outside they go again.
Sounds tedious, but it's what I did when I lived in upstate NY. My apartment was an absolute jungle in the winter(s) with vines growing across the celing...

o
RE: Can I grow passionflower in WA?

Iam in a colder part of zone 8. I have both the blue crown and Constance Elliot that are in the ground and are evergreen. They are in full bloom now after a slight freeze a couple of weeks ago and a frost last Saturday. They have survived down in the lower teens but have been burned at that temperature. I also have incarnata and incense in the ground. They freeze back at first frost and then come back as soon as the ground starts to warm in the spring. I can not mulch anything as my chickens and guineas love to remove it looking for bugs. All of these have been extremely hardy for me even without any protection.

Patsy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here