Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora mexicana needed

Posted by chrisven Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 0:46

04/21/2008

On April 17th, 2008, Thursday, I received 3 Passiflora plants from Grassy Knoll Exotic Plants. Passiflora: Capsularis 'Vanilla', Serratifolia, and Mexicana.
They seem to be adjusting o.k. so far, except for the Mexicana, its main stem is toothpick thin, the leaves are curled, and doming, and starting to yellow a tad...I may lose it.
The plants came from Washougal, WA., not far from Portland, OR., then they went right through their destination city of Bakersfield, CA., up and over the Grapevine/Ridge Route/Tejon Pass on I-5 to the Santa Clarita, CA. U.S. Postal Mail Sort Facility, then up Interstate 5 again, a climb of at least 3,000 feet, and back down to Bakersfield, where I am. So with all that, I am going to say they have got to be confused in some way, with all the elevation change of up, down, up, down, in such a short distance.

If my Mexicana plant doesn't make it, is there anyone out there that grows Mexicana, and could send me a plant with a healthy appearing thick stem, and not toothpick thin?

What can you tell me?

Chrisven in Bakersfield, CA., U.S.A..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora mexicana needed

I've been coaxing along a mexicana for a while now. Their stems never do seem to get very thick. I've gotten several over the years (believe me, that's not easy) and killed most of them (disturbingly easy, unfortunately). They really don't like a lot of water. They, more than other passis, seem to want well-drained soil. But at the same time, they don't want to dry all the way out. If the leaves on yours are yellowing and doming, it may very well be too wet--even if you give it the same water you give other passis.

I've not had a lot of luck with cuttings from mine, but I have some going now that I'm optimistic might take. If so, I'll be happy to trade with you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here