Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pineywoods_gw

have: tiny yellow-flowered pv (none to trade yet)

pineywoods
19 years ago

We found a tiny yellow-flowered passion vine growing on our property. Does anyone know what kind this is? We took some to transplant in our flower beds, so I am not sure yet of its characteristics. Any info would be helpful.

Comments (7)

• gbin
    19 years ago

I'm no expert, but I know of two TX native passionvines with small yellow flowers, Passiflora affinis in the Hill Country and P. lutea in about the eastern 1/3 of TX. I'm afraid I don't know their characteristics well enough to tell you how to distinguish them. Maybe the PLANTS National Database could help you key your species out?

I've been trying to obtain a P. lutea plant to add to my wildscape here in the DFW area, but have had no luck whatsoever either through nurseries or fellow gardeners as of yet, so if it turns out that is what you have and you later discover that you have a spare (where there's one I think there's usually more!), I'd be interested!

Gerry

• flicker
    19 years ago

If this is p. lutes, it will probably set small fruit and you should have several new vines around it next year. I have replanted some from the wild but this is chancy. You may want to mark it and watch it for the season. If there are several vines that come up try replanting a couple. Never take all of the wild flowers you have in a spot. You mmay loose them all. Type Passiflora lutes in google search, click "Image", and you should get several photos.

• mboston_gw
    19 years ago

We had P. Lutea come up as a volunteer here (think I brought it in a pot that had a plant it in from nursery that grows and repots plants). Now I have it everywhere, both in the sun and shade, on the ground, growing through shrubs, amongst other vines like Pipevine, jasmine, on fences, etc. The Gulf Fritillary caterpillars love it but I have plenty. If someone needs a rooted piece, that could be arranged. It does have small purple fruit.

• gbin
    19 years ago

Thanks, mboston! But I was able to score a seedling at a recent native plant sale here in the DFW area, so I'm all set.

Gerry

• Ethane Zizyphus
    19 years ago

Mboston, I'd love to get some of your P. Lutea. I emailed you, but try contacting me if you didn't get it.

• gbin
    19 years ago

Don't you already have the species, Ethane? I thought I remembered you offering some up for trade below...

Gerry

• mboston_gw
    19 years ago

thane - I emailed you back. Did you get it Fri.? Sorry about the dleay - It came in as Junk Mial, which I don't bother to check often. If not, let me know and I'll send it again.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus