Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsnipper

Clear Skies info needed

plantsnipper
17 years ago

I have a passion vine named Clear Skies. I have not been able to find any info on it but I need to know if this is an evergreen vine and also if it is going to attract the butterflies/caterpillars. Any info will be appreciated, I have 2 others that are evergreen so I am hoping this will be also. I live in Long Beach CA.

Comments (10)

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Clear Skies will definitely attract butterflies, and their caterpillars will munch happily on it. I suspect it will easily be an evergreen in your climate. I think it's a tetraploid hybrid, but I'll have to check to be sure.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Okay, I've finally had a chance to check the Ulmer & MacDougal book. I was right--Clear Sky is indeed a tetraploid hybrid. It's two parentage is ((P. amethystina x P. caerulea) x P. caerulea) x P. caerulea. For practical purposes, treat it as a caerulea with a case of giantism. It's leaves and flowers will be half again to twice as large as a regular caerulea, and the vine is supposedly more vigorous. It won't cross with other standard passis, though. If you want fruit, you'll need another tetraploid hybrid--and even then it may still be sterile.

Cheers!

• plantsnipper
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you jblaschke for the information on the Clear Skies vine. Do you think this plant will do well in a large 18 to 24 inch pot. I have an arbor that is about 9 feet tall and I am wanting this vine to go over the top but be in a pot. On the other side I have a Lavender Lady but it is in a small 12 inch pot and it is about 4 feet tall. I am going to repot it in a larger pot, do you think these will get tall enough to cover the arbor by growing in a pot?

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

I've learned that a bigger pot generally means a bigger plant, so your plan should work in theory. Also give it some fertilizer.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

The Clear Skies should grow plenty big in that pot. Not sure about the Amethyst, tho. I have one, but it's in a hanging basket. I'm not sure how large those will grow if given free rein.

• wander
    17 years ago

The Clear Sky Passiflora will become HUGE if given "free reign" as you stated. I have one that is less than 3 years old and is taking over my bananna trees in my back yard! It's one that needs to be "kept in check" but that flowers SO beautifully! I love mine and it doesn't hurt it at all to trim it back when needed. I may fertilize mine once a year because it just seems to be so strong on it's own that I don't want to mess with it's contentment.
    Also, as to it's hardiness, this past winter in Northwest Florida (zone 8), it never lost a leaf- it stayed quite beautiful and green. I am sure it'll do quite well for you in Zone 10!
    I can tell you that the Clear Sky does much better when the roots are kept cool and the actual plant gets some form of afternoon sun. I "experimented" with one of my baby Clear Sky by planting it on a chainlink fence in full sun. It did well, however, the flowers didn't seem to be quite as large or firm, and I noticed the leaves were a teenie bit lighter shade of green and not quite as large as the one against the house. But as long as these guys are watered regularly, they will do fine. Quite a tough plant once it gets it's roots somewhat established.
    Butterflies DO LOVE IT! As do their caterpillars; they are an absolute favorite of the Gulf Fritillary, but that is something you can control as well. Actually, mine did fine, even though some of the leaves were eaten to bits, it grows so well that there just seemed to be plenty to go around, so to speak. :)
    I hope all my blubbering is helpful to you!
    If I can be of any more assistance, please feel free to email me!
    Have a beautiful day, ALL!

• cherisgarden
    17 years ago

I purchased a Clear Sky a few months ago. It came as a healthy large plant and I potted it up. It took a while to establish well in the pot and a few weeks later did give me one lovely flower and that's all it's done by way of flowering since then. It's growing well, has plenty of sun and is grown in Miracle Grow. Any reason why no more flowers?
    Cheri

• dgr2404
    17 years ago

I just received a Clear Sky. I am excited and nervous. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and I need all the information I can get on how to grow this beauty indoors. It came in a plastic pot and need to go from there.

Thank you
    Di

• dgr2404
    17 years ago

Hello again, My passion flower is now on its second bloom!!!!! Any and all information on how to care for this flower indoors would be very much appreciated. It is still in the same plastic pot it came in. When should I plant it into a clay pot. I believe it is better to be placed in a clay pot. I anxiously await any response.

Thank you
    Di

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I have a few LL's in pots ranging from 12-24". The one in the largest pot has vines trailing at least 10' and the smaller plants aren't far behind. They aren't my favorites but they are definitely my most prolific bloomers.
    Karyn

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio