Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I stop them from Fruiting?

Posted by gnappi 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 8:10

I have been hand pollinating my two passion fruit vines with great success. But now I'm wondering if I should start pulling the flowers off. Each plant has over 15 fruits in varying stages of growth and I'm not sure they can support the load physically from the weight, or to support them nutritionally.

Can they support an unlimited number of fruit or should I start pinching off the flowers after they start to wilt?

Any help would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I stop them from Fruiting?

I'd just stop hand pollinating. The plant will likely self abort any fruit that it can't handle. If you see that the weight of the fruit is too much I'd try and rig up a support. If that doesn't work then removing fruit might be necessary.

o
RE: Should I stop them from Fruiting?

I totally agree with Karyn. If nutritionally the plant cannot handle all the fruit, it should thin itself out without you having to intervene. Fruit trees like plums do this all the time. As for physical limitations, I would build something to help with the weight. Also, I have seen P. edulis plants with way more than 15 fruit. Enjoy, and be happy you can grow them so successfully!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here