Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Rooted cuttings: have Aristolochia gigantea, need P. edulis

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

Contact me at looking4plants@yahoo.com

Sorry for the near duplicate post, but I decided I'm willing to part with my one and only rooted cutting of Aristolochia gigantea (I do have the parent Aristolochia) in exchange for a rooted cutting of a named variety of P. edulis . The ones that are recommended by the local Master Gardeners for fruit production in our area are: Fredericks, Black Knight, Frosty, and Nancy Garrison. I'm only looking for these 4 cultivars, and only clones (rooted cuttings). I'm not looking for seeds or even plants grown from seed.

The reason that I'm looking for these besides just quality fruit is that it would replace my mom's Passiflora (either caerulea or alatocaerulea, I don't remember), that died a couple years ago. She had always wanted P. edulis, but she was erroneously told that P. edulis would not grow in her area (9b, Sunset 15). She did love her old plant, though.

The Aristolochia cutting was made last November (it took 3 months to root in water) and just now started growing like crazy--it's now 12 inches long. I don't know for sure whether this is A. gigantea var. brasiliensis (= A. brasiliensis) or whether it's the true A. gigantea. This may affect the hardiness, I don't know (see the Dave's garden info). This plant has never seen below 28 degrees. The parent plant is from Kartuz and bloomed like crazy its first summer in L.A.

I hate to give up my "insurance" for this plant--it's an amazing one. Hopefully I'll be able to successfully root cuttings later this year. If not, I'd like an agreement that cuttings can be sent back (applies either way) in case the parent plant(s) die.

I have a couple other possible plants for trading on the other thread (search "Wanted: P. edulis cuttings"). I may also be willing to part with a small amount of other "green stuff" in exchange for rooted or unrooted cuttings.

If you're not familiar with A. gigantea, do a google image search. It's a huge, amazing flower. And despite the coloration (typical of a fly-pollinated flower), it does not smell bad at all.

Again, my email is:

looking4plants@yahoo.com

Comments (3)

Sponsored