Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Fledermouse

jblaschke
16 years ago

My p. fledermouse is blooming! I got the little bareroot plant last fall, and it immediately went into shock, dropping all its leaves. I resisted the urge to over-water, and let it find its own comfort level. Good move. It's now growing like crazy--this thing is a vigorous grower, and takes very little attention. It's happy being ignored. It sets buds in waves, rests a week or so, then starts setting them again. Here's a look.

They're attractive flowers. You definitely notice them. Very nice color. They don't stay open terribly long, however, closing in the late afternoon. The also have a somewhat rakish appearance, with the petals being invariably rumpled. Makes the flowers look like they've just staggered in from an all-night bender. ;-)

Sadly, no success yet in attempts to cross-pollinate with other decalobas.

Comments (9)

• Krstofer
    16 years ago

Hey! Nice!
    You know I've noticed most passifloras do best if I ignore them. Often to the point of "Oh-o I'd better water that & hope it's not already dead.."

Have you tried crossing this one with citrina or sanguinolenta? I've noticed that while I can cross those two both ways neither will work with any of my other decalobas. Don't know why. Murucuja may also work but not having one...

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My citrina will pollinate my sanguinolenta, but the reverse cross has yet to take for me. I'm puzzled by this, since it's supposed to be an easy cross. Go figure!

Yes, I've tried the Fledermouse cross with both of those, both ways, but nothing's taken yet. Fledermouse is currently in between flowering bursts, so I'll have to wait another couple of weeks to try again. Like you, I've also though about murucuja being a potential candidate. I've wanted it for a while, but haven't managed to acquire one...

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That's a pretty color. I'm partial to the pinks. Does it have a scent? Benign neglect is best for most plants. I can't count the number of orchids I coddled to death when I first started growing them. lol Good luck with the pollination attempts.
    Karyn

• rialira
    16 years ago

'benign neglect.' I love it! delightfully succinct.

ria

• Ethane Zizyphus
    16 years ago

Very nice Jayme! And as for crossing with citrina or sanguinolenta, I wouldn't put much work into it as they are different subgroups. I think you'd have better luck with the murucuja, which is also a different subgroup but closer related I think.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Pretty flower - I like the color!
    Sherry

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've poked around online and not seen any whisper of successful crosses with Fledermouse. But will keep trying when I have the opportunity. :-)

• passionflow
    16 years ago

It is worth trying to backcross it with either parent or with Passiflora 'Flying V' (produces pollen and sets fruit) by Mark Cooper and myself as P. perfoliata is one of its parents too. It is available in USA now from Grassy Knoll. Flying V is across between a red hummingbird pollinated parent, P. perfoliata & P. penduliflora which is white and may be bat pollinated.

As Ethane says it will not cross with citrina etc as they are Decaloba/Xerogona and will cross between themselves only as far as is known. Murucuja worth ago though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora 'Flying V'

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, your Flying V is one I've had my eye on for a while. I've been so busy of late that I haven't had a chance to go through and break down the Decaloba groups to see what might be most compatible. Going purely on visuals (not a good tact, I know) I thought sanguinolenta might have a shot, since morphologically the leaves and flowers aren't that dissimilar. Sanguinolenta and Fledermouse both also grow at an insane rate--blink and they've taken over the entire window sill!