Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeshwant91

When should I expect outdoor Incarnata and Incense to return?

yeshwant91
17 years ago

Last year I planted nursery-bought Incarnata and Incense in the ground. Haven't seen any sign of them this year as yet.

As an aside, the incarnata set about a dozen or more fruits which we juiced, in spite of the fact that I have only a single plant, and none that I have seen in the neighborhood.

Comments (26)

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey!!!
    I am also a z7.. They are starting to come up around here...But I'm in Texas..
    Chena

• angie83
    17 years ago

Alot of my incarnatas didnt come back this year either and I brought my incense in side for cold here.I had 9 or 10 and only 3 came back was sad.But all my maypopins came back with a friend hehehe they seem to be by far the tuffest passiflora yet.

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. Aren't Maypops and Incarnata the same?
    I had read Incense was hardy to Zone 6.

• angie83
    17 years ago

I lost my incense before in zone 9 so I didnt want to take a chance.I was wrong this is the type I thought was maypop but it is not .The maypop is the incarnate you were right.

{{gwi:2758}}

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That looks like a Caerulea and is quie lovely!

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I'm also in zone 7a but I grow my P incense in a container. I just got a bunch of incarnata vines. I did put some in the yard but am also keeping a few in containers that will be brought inside in Oct. I've heard people say that they are hardy to zone 6 but I wouldn't risk it. We had an exceptionally cold Feb-mid Apr this year and I doubt that any passies would have come back from the roots.
    Karyn

• abq_bob
    17 years ago

My Insence is just breaking dormancy, and my incarnata's have been going for just over a week here in Albuquerque's zone 7. We've had a few days in the 80's with stretches where it's getting only into the 50's and down to the high 30's at night. Looks like after today it will stay warmer though. Around the garden my lilacs are just finishing up and the Iris have just started blooming.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I'm 7a, I take it that you are in 7b. My lilacs are just starting to bloom and the iris haven't even sent up their flower stalks yet. We were well below freezing, single digits, for most of Feb and had our last snow 2 weeks ago. This year has been much colder than usual but we normally have a good stretch of below freezing temps. I don't leave any marginally hardy plants inground here.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

I think I lost my big, woody Incense vine to the ice storm we had here in January as well as the big secondary plant around the corner of the house (where I always relocated the caterpillars). BUT there are numerous smaller daughter plants springing up from the roots throughout my yard--I've dug up and relocated these to more desirable locations, and sold a few on eBay as well. Two of my incarnatas have been growing aggressively for more than a month, but my third (which I call my "dwarf" incarnata since the vine is less aggressive and has small flowers and fruit) just started coming up a couple of weeks ago. Since you're in New York, I definitely wouldn't start to panic yet.

As an aside, my big, native Texas incarnata flowered for the first time today. I'm posting a pic on another thread.

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh well. I suppose I might have to give up on the Incense at least. We have a sheltered yard and the incense was in a sunny location by a wall, though. I thought the roots took upto 10 degrees at least, and I can't remember us going that far down (though I might be mistaken).

• abq_bob
    17 years ago

Well, we did get a snow storm over Easter, and that killed all the leaves on my grapes and fuzzy-kiwi vines, but they have since bounced back. It didn't even phaze my pineapple sage nor my lemon verbena though. Both my incense and incarnata die to the ground over the winter. The incarnata's are about 6" up, and the incense has only got a couple leaflets popping out next to the ground. So I'd still give a few more weeks and see what happens...

• chazparas
    17 years ago

Yeswant91
    I used to live in ridgefield park NJ, right across the G.W. Bridge from Manhattan, my incarnata did not break ground until mid to late may, and one year even mid june! BUT...by July 4th they would be at least 4-5 feet up the arbor. Died every year to the ground, and eventually spread up to 20' from the arbor and came up into a slope of english ivy, looked beautiful! I also would harvest 50 or more fruit by the end of september! Be patient, it waits until the ground is warm in your area.
    Chaz

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

Maypops and Incense are popping up here the past few days, which is several weeks earlier than normal. This is not surprising as it was extremely warm in March, and the ground is warmer than normal. I also have two tetraploid seedlings planted last year from 'Byron Beauty' X 'Byte', that have returned, as well as an Incense seedling.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Chaz and Karyn - my 'Incense' does not come up until around June 1st. I think that's pretty late because a lot of people have said theirs emerge earlier than that.

That said, once they break ground, they go gangbusters. It's frustrating for me, though, because every year I go thru anxiety attacks wondering if this will be the year it doesn't come back. It's been in the ground about 5 years, so is there really a need to worry?

BTW, I just purchased a passiflora caerulea (Blue Crown) and have heard they are NOT as hardy as the incarnatas. Is this true? If so, is there any reason to believe they may not be root hardy in my zone 7 in Oklahoma?

I know you all will hate me, but I grow mine for the gulf fritillaries. I do love the blooms, but rarely get to see any. Any pods that are produced are quickly devoured like dessert by the GFs.

Susan

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Susan I don't think the caerulea is hardy in zone 7 but I'm not sure. Mine is in a container. I originally started growing passies to attract GF's but so far I haven't had one but I do have quite a few more passies. I also started growing aristolochias to attract Pipevine swallowtails and haven't had any of those either but I now have quite a few more aristolochia varieties. lol I can just blame my plant obsession on the butterflies that don't show! The only ones that I have in abundance are Monarchs, Tiger and Black Swallowtails. I have a few of some other varieties but not much. The numbers of the Monarchs and swallowtails seems steady but there's been a significant decline in variety around here over the past 20 years.
    Karyn

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Still nothing...

• chena
    16 years ago

It is early!! The weather has been kinda crazy!!! Don't give up yet.. LOL I would have already been digging around just to see if there is any sign of life.. missed out on that patience thing..

Oh sorry about this but the GF's are here...
    I was taking a banana out to plant near the Nana trees and I got distracted.. when I finally got back on track this is what I found...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1127190}}

• chazparas
    16 years ago

I'd love to see a feeding frenzy like that! I plant dill for the black swallowtails up here in MA, did in NY/NJ as well it's a magnet for them. My incarnatas have never been bothered by BF's of anykind :( They do attract tons of bumble and carpenter bees though! :)
    I found with my incarnata that they come up in different spots from where they are planted! They do send out long runners underground and travel quite far so don't be surprised if when they do come up it's not where you planted them!
    Just got my "Lady Margaret" from Logee's third try with this one, it fails no matter what!
    Happy gardening all!

• jankay
    16 years ago

I need help, too :D.

I rooted what I think are incarnatas from some that grew wild last year. Took three months in a coke bottle, but finally got roots, and they did well inside in a containter over the winter, growing all over my desk. Now I've put them outside, in full sun with a trellis to crawl up, and they are less than spectacular after two weeks. They are blooming, but they are weak little blooms, and some of the lower leaves are a bit yellow.

Is it just not the right time for them to flourish yet? They have not made any progress growing up the trellis. Any recommendations for watering or fertilizer?

Thanks so much for any advice,

Jan

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the assurance everyone. I have the incarnata planted in a hole in a brick patio, so I wonder if the roots are under the brick and cannot find their way to the hole in the patio to emerge.
    The incense is in a much larger bed, but it might have succumbed.
    Everything else in the yard is back.
    I will keep all posted.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Yeswant91,
    Keep the faith! It's still way to early for it to show in NYC. I bet by mid June it starts to poke through, maybe even between bricks!

• fmogul
    16 years ago

Just came across this thread, and I, too, can relate! This is the first winter for my caerulea (looks a lot like the photo above), which Brushwood Vines told me would come back in z7, esp. since it's a well-protected spot in a nice urban microclimate. No sign of life yet, and I gave it up for dead. But sounds like there might still be hope!

And, hey, is that woody stem supposed to retain some green or totally die back?

In any event, I planted an incense, too, figuring either I'd get them both or get something new, and even if it turns out to be only annual, it'd still give a good bang for the buck.

• hwylo
    16 years ago

P. incarnata is about 4' here in the cape fear area. A few blooms too. It seems to prefer complete neglect more than anything else; thriving in dry, sandy, nutrient poor soil. It sends out runners all over the place, even more aggresively than Clematis paniculata, another attractive though bothersome plant.

Unexpectedly, the P. alato-caerula, purchased at Home Depot, not a notoriously good place to buy plants, returned this year and is now about 2' tall. Like incarnata, it appears to be completely herbaceous, but sprouted as soon as the warm weather returned.
    e

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So P. incarnata and it's numerous babies showed up in mid-June or so, at a totally diferent spot as well as in the original spot. It is amazing what tiny cracks in the cement these things can crawl out of.
    The P. incense seems dead.
    I weeded out the smaller babies (plan to give away to neighbors). The vine is only about 2' tall now and not growing too fast. I wonder if it will have enough time left to grow, flower and fruit. It's July 9 already.

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The incarnata is only about 2 feet tall. It seems stunted. Too cold in these parts to grow in the ground outside? I have rooted some of the babies in pots and plan to grow them inside in the winter as an indoor plant.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Here in Haverhill, my incarnata finally decided to show it's head on Jul 25! It's about 12 inches as of today and I doubt I'll see blooms on it, but one never knows! I really thought it was gone as we had little snow this past winter and I did not mulch. Lost my basjoos this year too. UGH, so much for lazy gardening...

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus