Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baccalynnwv

How many passion vines to produce fruit?

baccalynnwv
18 years ago

I was reading on another thread that someone thought that you needed two passion vines to produce fruit. Is this true? I didn't think this was the case.

This is my first year with the Purple Passion Flower vine. I have stared it from seeds. I thought I had started 12, but I only started 9 and so far 6 have come up. I think that is pretty good as I hear they can be a pain to start from seeds some times. They all germinated within 30 days, taking around 25 days on average at room temp. Probably need a warming pad for them for a faster germination...

Anyway... rambling. Since I have six vines it isn't going to be a problem, but I was just curious. Do you really need two vines to produce fruit?

Comments (7)

• jblaschke
    18 years ago

There are a few species that are self-fertile, but most need a non-clonal companion in order to set fruit. Beyond that, not all passiflora species produce edible fruit, and most hybrids do not.

When you say you have a "Purple Passion Flower" I'm wondering what you mean. I assume this was what the person giving you the seeds called them? On eBay, this usually refers to p. edulis, the commercially grown vine that produces the purple fruit. Is this what you have? If so, be warned that edulis probably won't survive a zone 5 winter if planted unprotected in the ground. You might be better off getting a large pot(s) and planting them there so they can be moved to shelter during colder months.

And getting 6 of 9 to germinate is a good success rate. When your plants are ready to move outside, don't give them full sun right away. Morning sun and partial shade should be started early on in order to harden them off. Passis start as understory vines when sprouting in the wild and climb above the other plants as they grow. I fried a bunch of seedlings last year in direct sun because I hadn't realized this.

You can learn a lot by visiting Myles Irvine's passion flower site, link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Myles Stewart Irvine

• baccalynnwv
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wonderful information. Thank you! I'll have to double check which one I have. I believe it is the (looking for correct spelling) incarnata. Is this one edible?

• baccalynnwv
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually I think I did order the Passiflora edulis. I just looked at the website that I ordered them from and I recognize the picture for that one.

I'll try the big pots for some. The website says they are treated as an outdoor annual in my area.... and in containers indoors?? Probably over the winter huh?

This one does need two vines to produce fruit then?

Anyway, these vines are becoming very interesting to me! I might just start experimenting with the different types! I initially ordered it because I thought it looked weird! LOL!

• jblaschke
    18 years ago

Many species will cross-pollinate each other. Incarnata fruit is edible, but Edulis fruit is superior. You could always plant an Incarnata in the ground to have something relatively effort-free, while moving the Edulis inside during the winter. Flavicarpa is a disease-resistant cultivar of Edulis that produces yellow fruit that's higher in acidity. That doesn't solve your winter problem, but it's an interesting fact to know.

Welcome to the obsession!

• queen8211
    7 years ago

Once you get a plant established, believe me you won't need to worry about having other plants. They are prolific and will start coming up everywhere. I now have one that is producing passion fruit. I'm anxious to see what it tastes like.

• Tim Walker
    7 years ago

If by chance this is what you are calling purple. They need cross pollinated from another species. I will have to look it up.

• Tim Walker
    7 years ago

I can't find the tag so here is a pic of the vine that crosses with ruby. This pic is not a lady Margaret. The little black dot on the leaf is an ant.

Sponsored