Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clacy2k

New to Passion, few questions

CLacy2k
19 years ago

I recently purchased this vine and thought that I had picked up a plant with a tag, but when I got home there was no tag. I think the name was just Purple Passionflower vine.

Anyhow, below is in image of the flower. I have a couple questions, as this is a new plant to me.

*How do I collect the seeds?

*Do they bloom only during spring, or throughout summer?

{{gwi:1127219}}

Comments (7)

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

this is p. 'amethyst' or similar (syn p. 'lavendar lady'), since it is a hybrid, I don't think any seeds produced will come true... but it mght be worth growing them anyway. Beautiful pic!!

Dc

• CLacy2k
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Dc! So, I can root these from cuttings? Are these vines, typically, fast growing?

Thanks,
    Christie

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

your welcome!

glad I could help, I should tell you that I have never actually grown this vine myself but I know that yes you can take cuttings! As for fast growing... most passifloras are (compared to other plants). So be careful, these things can become monsters (albeit pretty ones), if you let them go! I should also tell you that I speak as a complete passiflora ameteur and I research like mad to find out how to grow these beauties... but the only ones I have ever seen bloom in person are coriacea(US botanical gardens), quadrangularis(USBG), suberosa(USBG) and x Belotii(my own precious vine)

here are some pics:

my precious belotii
    {{gwi:1127220}}

time to bring her in?

quadrangularis at the united states botanical gardens (the other pics were taken by someone else, here I'm owning up to my bad photography skills... yes, that's my hand)
    {{gwi:1126321}}

coriacea at usbg (the HORRORS!!!... of my photography skills [this reminds me of something from my nightmares... which is what makes it so awesome, the vine was like 50 feet long!!])
    {{gwi:1127222}}

hope this helps :)
    Dc

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

Regarding the rootng of the Lavender Lady....I find it one of the easiest passifloras to root. I think I had 95% or so success with cuttings from it last fall whereas with vitiflorea only one out of perhaps 12-same with Lady Margaret. When I received my LL it had a broken runner that was really wilted. I tried cuttings from that runner and most of them rooted as well.

Patsy

• CLacy2k
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow! Great pics, Dc! That quadrangularis sure is big!

Patsy, do you use a rooting hormone when rooting? All i ahve is the powder. And is there a certain time I should take cuttings?

One more thing, guys, do these bloom all summer (*crosses fingers*)?

Thanks again!
    Christie

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

I am quite sure that these bloom all summer... and if you bring them in, possibly all winter :-)!! these pics were taken last weekend in a greenhouse/conservatory. The quad vine was ENORMOGIGANTIC but not as large as the coriacea oddly enough. I also saw sanguiunolenta at the united states botanic gardens on a teeny plant with loads of butds but not a single flower. suberosa was covered with blueberry-mimic fruit.

Dc

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

Christie, Yes I do use a rooting hormone. I used the powder kind on the passies. I was having some problem with some of my rose cuttings and was told to get dip n grow liquid so I did. I still like the powder better.
    The Lavender Lady is one of the best flowering passies. It will flower year around if kept from getting frost. Mine bloomed all winter in an unheated greenhouse.

Patsy

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County