Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunauna_gw

Mealybugs on Passiflora caerulea

sunauna
10 years ago

Hi.

Sorry, in advance, for such a long post. I've been battling mealybugs on my passiflora cerulean for more than 2 months now. I've read the posts on organic solutions and then the internet recs on chemical solutions, but so far, nothing has fully eliminated them. My 3 questions are this:

1) The plant has great new foliage and suckers and, though it suffers, recovers well after each application of pesticide (I'm now on my 2nd hearty spraying of plants & soil with Ortho Malathion, with 2 weeks between applications). Still, the bugs seem to be persisting under the largest & top-most roots of the oldest, thickest vine. Since I do not want the bugs to spread to new plants, should I give up and throw this good looking vine away? Or is there really a way to eliminate the bugs entirely. I saw a suggestion to "boil" the roots; I'm just holding off b/c I expect all the young suckers and stems to die if I do such a thing. Will this really work? Or am I better off just giving up and throwing the whole plant away?

2) I read somewhere that passifloras get mealybugs if one doesn't spray the leaves over the winter indoors. I have a new passiflora (incense) that is not yet infested (knock on wood) and am wondering if anyone in zone 5 has experience with it over the winter. I am actually in zone 7b but am a container gardener. My infested passionflower did very well until inside from Nov-January but then got infected w/ these mealybugs. Since both passionflowers are said to be hardy up to Zone 6, I'm wondering if it might be better to leave the new plant outdoors next winter, just letting the vine die back in Nov and then mulching & wrapping w/ burlap & plastic wrap? Any stories of experience with this would be much appreciated.

3) Separate from passiflora, I've seen a couple of isolated bugs on 3-4 other plants. I wiped them down w/ soap & water and sprayed w/ neem. After about 3-4 weeks, I saw a couple of fat bugs on each of these plants, but only in 1 or 2 places. I don't see any around the roots or nests anywhere. Still, I sprayed all these plants w/ malathion last week. Would anyone have any confidence that I've successfully eliminated the bugs? Or should I also throw these plants away too? I'm aiming to limit the damage these bugs are doing - I wouldn't want to infect my hitherto healthy organic edibles or outdoor plants because I were futilely trying to hang on to 4-5 infected ones (though I love and value them).

Thanks very much.

Comments (5)

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Did some checking to understand them myself in case they show up in my yard.

You are already doing what you can but in case it begins to get expensive, then it seems that you could also control them with some dishwashing liquid and water solution. This will help remove their wax protection as well as suffocate them.

Lady bugs are also natural predators of these bugs.

I would try to keep the plants if you can, especially on the plants that currently only have a few.

Another option is to cut down the passion vine and get rid of that entire stalk(s). I have actually controlled some pest issues on passion vine before by only allowing the vine to grow later in the season, when it was past the time for those pests to be on their larval feeding or egg-laying timeframe.

In this respect, it's possible they latched on to your plants as a host because the vine itself was already growing and available from having been overwintered indoors and not losing any leaves or growth, compared to possible growing naturally outdoors at a certain time when this might have been able to pass by undetected.

This post was edited by gardenper on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 19:56

• sunauna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, gardenper! I inspected today and saw a couple of minuscule bugs: I followed your suggestion and cut the big vine back to the ground.

Separately, I wanted to mention to anyone dealing w/ similar challenges, that I still saw some sticky fuzz on the top of the soil. In other words, my experience is that neem & then Malathion, applied multiple times with 2-3 week gaps between each, has not yet been 100% effective. It is possible that one should spray more frequently or that, no matter what, vigilance is required.

Best of luck to any with similar problems!

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Let us know how it goes in a few weeks, if the mealy bug problem was removed or if it comes back (including to your other plants since now this one has been cut back)

• devolet
    9 years ago

Do ladybugs work in your area? They adore a good lunch of mealy bugs. And you would not have to spray them also they don't like it wet if you are over wintering indoors a daily mist might help from what I hear.

This post was edited by elysianfields on Mon, May 26, 14 at 12:43

• sunauna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, elysianfields. Now that it's warmer, I've had a lady bug or two come by, but I haven't every purchased any (I'm container gardening in the middle of a city & feel like they'll just fly away instantly.)

gardenper, I think cutting down the vines after all the chemicals worked. I'm staying vigilant, but haven't seen any bugs since I last posted. The other plants, too, are so far, bug free! However, I saw a mass on a new plant, but after wiping it away 10 days ago, it seems ok.

thanks again!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH