Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

Foetida Question....

ninecrow
14 years ago

Has Anyone out there done any Hybridizing of this Species?

Thanks Guys

Might try it this Year with Mine.....

Comments (5)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I used foetida pollen on a sublancelata bloom. The plant ended up looking just like the sublancelata. I think that foetida might be self pollinating because I'd get fruit with viable seed from almost every flower, even when no other passies were in bloom nearby.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I grow Mine inside and Like You, I had fruit on Every Flower
    My Question was just I Wonder....

• karyn1
    14 years ago

The pollen can be used on other passies because sublancelata does not self pollinate but I've never tried using a different pollen on a foetida bloom.

• eristal
    13 years ago

Last year, I grew and bloomed 2 totally different P. foetida plants. I also grew P. 'Harmonie Daybreak', a hybrid by Ethan Nielsen of P. arida x P. sublanceolata. I crosses them pretty much every direction possible, and got fruits, seeds and seedlings of each possible direction. In other words, I have growing:

- P. 'Harmonie Daybreak' x P. foetida 'Linda' (named for the person we got the plant from)
    - P. 'Harmonie Daybreak' x P. foetida 'Kevin'
    - P. foetida 'Kevin' x P. 'Harmonie Daybreak'
    - P. foetida 'Linda' x P. 'Harmonie Daybreak'
    - P. foetida 'Linda' x P. foetida 'Kevin'

The interesting thing here is that the P. 'Harmonie Daybreak' and the P. foetida 'Kevin' did NOT create fruits unless hand pollinated. Therefore, I am confident that those crosses are accurate. On the other P. foedita, once we realized that it would create fruits on it's own, we used a preemptive technique called "bud pollination", meaning that soon before it opened, (like the night before), we would forcefully open the flower, take off the pollen filaments, and pollinate it with the paternal plant of our choice. This can be used with many of the "selfing" Passifloras.

Another successful cross with P. foedita last year that we did, and have seedlings of, is (P. umbilicata x P. tucumanensis) x P. foetida 'Linda'. I know this is an unlikely cross, so perhaps the P. foedita pollen caused a "selfing" reaction from the plant, but who knows? I guess we'll find out! In any case, I will keep you all updated as the plants grow and bloom.

Hope this helps the discussion a bit...

Happy Gardening!!

Eric Wortman and Crystal Stone

• pshawn
    13 years ago

Great sounding hybrids! Any buds yet? Would love to hear the updates as they come
    shawn!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio