Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foetida Question....

Posted by ninecrow Midlands, England (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 13:52

Has Anyone out there done any Hybridizing of this Species?
Thanks Guys
Might try it this Year with Mine.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foetida Question....

I used foetida pollen on a sublancelata bloom. The plant ended up looking just like the sublancelata. I think that foetida might be self pollinating because I'd get fruit with viable seed from almost every flower, even when no other passies were in bloom nearby.

o

I grow Mine inside and Like You, I had fruit on Every Flower
My Question was just I Wonder....

o

The pollen can be used on other passies because sublancelata does not self pollinate but I've never tried using a different pollen on a foetida bloom.

o

Last year, I grew and bloomed 2 totally different P. foetida plants. I also grew P. 'Harmonie Daybreak', a hybrid by Ethan Nielsen of P. arida x P. sublanceolata. I crosses them pretty much every direction possible, and got fruits, seeds and seedlings of each possible direction. In other words, I have growing:

- P. 'Harmonie Daybreak' x P. foetida 'Linda' (named for the person we got the plant from)
- P. 'Harmonie Daybreak' x P. foetida 'Kevin'
- P. foetida 'Kevin' x P. 'Harmonie Daybreak'
- P. foetida 'Linda' x P. 'Harmonie Daybreak'
- P. foetida 'Linda' x P. foetida 'Kevin'

The interesting thing here is that the P. 'Harmonie Daybreak' and the P. foetida 'Kevin' did NOT create fruits unless hand pollinated. Therefore, I am confident that those crosses are accurate. On the other P. foedita, once we realized that it would create fruits on it's own, we used a preemptive technique called "bud pollination", meaning that soon before it opened, (like the night before), we would forcefully open the flower, take off the pollen filaments, and pollinate it with the paternal plant of our choice. This can be used with many of the "selfing" Passifloras.

Another successful cross with P. foedita last year that we did, and have seedlings of, is (P. umbilicata x P. tucumanensis) x P. foetida 'Linda'. I know this is an unlikely cross, so perhaps the P. foedita pollen caused a "selfing" reaction from the plant, but who knows? I guess we'll find out! In any case, I will keep you all updated as the plants grow and bloom.

Hope this helps the discussion a bit...

Happy Gardening!!

Eric Wortman and Crystal Stone

o

• Posted by pshawn 9B, California (My Page) on
    Fri, May 21, 10 at 8:17

Great sounding hybrids! Any buds yet? Would love to hear the updates as they come
shawn!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here