Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atheris_squamigera

My passion vine refuses to bloom.

atheris_squamigera
16 years ago

Hello, I am very new to gardening. My first attempt started only a few months ago. I wanted to create a vivarium(it's like a mini ecosystem in a tank) using passion vine and my small brazilian rainbow boa, among other things) both are tropical and enjoy the same conditions, so it seemed perfect. As I was setting the tank up I kept my passion vine in the same room and used the same grow light that it is under currently. The only difference with the light is that before it was about 3ft away, and now it is only inches away to make up for what my 1/4 in glass filters out. It seemed to survive the transplant surprisingly well. It even bloomed with some buds that it had before it went into the vivarium. But now that those buds are gone it won't grow any new ones. Should I buy another light? Would that burn it? I fertilized it with an organic fertilizer (so as not to hurt the snake) a few weeks ago, should I let it recover and wait to fertilize it again? Do you think it is still suffering from transplant shock? Thank you for your time. This is my passion flower I don't know what it is specifically but i bet you do. oops, looks like it didn't show up, please follow the link or ill just tell you that it is a pink flower with short (1/3 inch) stamens. http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/112665IMAGE_00049-med.jpg

Comments (14)

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

My guess is that you're passion flower is x violacea "Autopurpurea," one of the oldest passiflora hybrids. My understanding is that it isn't particularly demanding, and can tolerate temperatures down to freezing for a short time, at least.

I wouldn't fertilize it again. Many passiflora species are adapted to poor soil conditions, and fertilization prompts vegetative growth but no blossoms. You don't mention if it is still growing or not. This may be the case. Also, you don't mention how big the vivarium is--or rather, how much potential root space there is for your vine. If you're transplanting from a comparatively small pot into a larger space, your plant may well be putting its energy into root growth. Once it spreads its roots to the limits of its domain, it ought to start flowering again. This is the reason that many people keep their passiflora in smaller pots than seems warranted--to force blossoming. You also don't talk about the time frames involved. That might help in this situation.

Anyway, those are the thoughts from this semi-literate lay person.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

I agree that it is probably growing roots before flowering more. As long as the foilage is putting out new growth and the leaves aren't yellowing and falling, then it will prob be okay and bloom after it settles in more. I should think your light if good enough for the snake should be good enough for the passie. Some of my passies here only get morning sun and mostly shade the rest of the time. I have a few sunburst vines in all shade with dappled morning light and they all still bloom. I keep them in pots, so it limits the root space. They do seem to bloom better that way. Your passie will prob be fine once the roots fill it up.
    Passies like moisture but can't sit in damp or soggy soil, so it has to drain very well. They sort of like to dry out a little between watering. The leaves don't matter if its humid-just the roots. You could also keep it in a smaller pot and sink the pot trying to make a little hill or slope for the pot to sit on- or tie the pot onto a piece of grapewood (make sure it has good drainage holes and lots of perlite mixed into potting soil if in a damp enviornment-rootwise)and cover the top and or sides with green moss to hide the pot. I noticed that some terrariums are made with foam that is shaped into sorta cup-like pot/plant holders.

Your vivarium sounds awesome! I have been looking at websites and lurking in the terrariums forum for awhile now tentatively making plans to build a terrarium. I want to make one with orchids, bromeliads, ferns, etc. and the plans I found have a drip/mist system. Looks fun to build and I get to use spray-foam ,Whoohoo! LOL!! I haven't decided if I want tree frogs or a caemelion (sp?). Been looking at the Black Jungle web site and others- those frogs are so cool. I love snakes but my dh hates them. I like the red tip boas and of course rainbows are gorgeous! I was holding a red tip at a local pet store the other day and dh went walking quickly to the other side of the store LOL!
    ~SJN

• atheris_squamigera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, it is a 6ft 125 gal tank. There are two passion vines and I wired them to the back (made of foam and cypress driftwood just like in black jungle) The plants are very healthy. I have about 2inches of hydroton one the bottom as drainage, and I used black gold orchid bark to plant them in. But the soil seems always very wet(it's 95% huumidity in there all the time) They have only been in there for about a week, but they were blooming so vigorously that I was concerned, and the jerks in the frog forums told me that passion vine couldnt bloom in a viv. I will take them out and put them each in a pot and then replant them because it would be years before they got rootbound in the space they are in. The seem to be molding at the edges, so I am trying to figure out a fan system I can do. I am glad I haven't put my snake in yet because my pump broke today and spit motor oil into my pool area (eww) so I had to take my waterplants and java moss out immediatly and rise them off and fix the pool. (don't worry the pool is siliconed so it is seperate so the soil doesn't get all weird when the water gets bad. I will have to post pics soon, but for the time being you can go to kingsnake.com and look at atherisquamigera's photos in the photo gallery and you can see my tank. Thank you for the info! =) So far the vivarium project is the most fun I have ever had, I would suggest it to everyone! (if you dont mind spending all of your time and money making it)

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

The passis can probably handle the humidity without a problem, but you don't want them getting soggy roots. If you're going to pot them separately from the rest of the strata, I suggest adding a good amount of sand, pearlite and other material that promotes good drainage to your potting soil. They'll still retain enough water to keep them happy, but not enough to promote root rot.

Your vivarium sounds really, really cool!

16 years ago

Hi, I found your photos -So cool. That is one huge tank :) Love the waterfall and hide hut ideas. Sorry to hear about your pump. Wow! how long have you been working on your tank? There is so much I still need to learn lol. I wonder if some type of computer fan would work? I can just see one of the fans with cool red LED lights or something...I guess that wouldn't look very natural though-lol :P
    ~SJN

• atheris_squamigera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sultry Jasmine Nights, i like that username, my real name is Jasmine. =) so i also have some arabian tea jasmine in my tank, but it grows so well that i have never had any problems with it. this is my first tank and it took me about 5 or 6 months (mostly because i had to wait for everything to get shipped to me) i am so glad you like it! i am also really excited about my next tank because I am going to use zoysia grass (cuz it doesnt rot in high humidity) to make a lawn, and i will make a little dollhouse and a little bonsai and a little pool for my smaller brazilian rainbow boa. It will be so cute like the perfect little house, but for my snake. anyway, sjn, if you want to make a vivarium get a dart frog, everyone likes those and they are so cute! you would probably have no problem convincing your dh(what is that?) to get one. and jblaschke should i use biodegradable pots so that my passion vines can outgrow them or would such a pot not restrict their roots enough?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I swear by chopped up banana peels dug into the soil to help the passies bloom. I don't feed them often but I do give them some banana peels every couple months. I'm not sure where I read about it but I think it has something to do with the potassium.

SJN I also love snakes and catch them all the time. We don't have venomous varieties here. I bring them home and let the kids watch them for a couple days before I release them. My husband completely freaks out. He's petrified of snakes so I just don't tell him when I've brought one home now. He wasn't too happy when a ringneck got loose in the house last summer. I thought he was going to stay at a hotel. lol I would advise you to go for the tree frogs or even poison dart frogs instead of a chameleon. Chameleons are one of the most difficult lizards to keep in captivity. They are also the most beautiful but should only be kept by experienced owners. You can get any number of other lizards. The easiest and least expensive at first would probably be some sort of anole. You could even keep them in with the frogs because they're not big enough to eat them. I have geckos but they require a dry enviroment so I only have some succulents, cactus and bromeliads in their tank.

Atheris don't use biodegradable pots for your passies. The roots will split them and make a mess in the vivarium. In a regular pot you only have to deal with the roots growing through the drainage holes. You might have a problem cleaning up the waste from a large animal in a moist vivarium. It doesn't break down very fast and can foul the tank in a short period of time. You also have to remove any dead critters that they don't eat. I'm constantly straining the sand in my gecko tank to keep it clean.
    Karyn

• atheris_squamigera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the pots will actually be buried in the soil, so as it's not visible. and as for the waste i expected i would have to clean up the poop, it's the pee that i was getting fed up with. my brazilians only poop once a week but they pee way too much. anyway i have a filter for the water area so that wont get all dirty, and thanks for the idea baout the bannana peels, i will do that.

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Passis are known for having aggressive root systems. I had some edulis in pots in the corner of my back yard last summer/fall without any saucers underneath. When the weather turned cold, I discovered they'd anchored themselves to the ground--roots had grown through the drain holes in the pot and spread into the ground. THAT was a hassle. So no, degradeable pots probably aren't a good idea if you want to restrain the plant's roots. The roots that do get out through the bottom ought not be much of an issue, and you certainly don't want to plug the holes since drainage is an ongoing concern with your wet environment.

16 years ago

atheris,
    Hi I like my username too :P. Well, I used to live in Louisiana and have a night/moon garden and grow lots of jasmine thus the name. However, now I've moved to the desert and it is in no way sultry, so I guess I should change it to dried up_desert_jasmine lol! I also have the arabian tea jasmine. I love it. It gives good daytime fragrance and blooms alot. Have you ever made/had jasmine tea? They are really easy to start from cuttings. The *new* tank idea sounds great too. I can see how I could get hooked on making those! Your snake is gonna be spoiled :D
    Do you have any photos of your snake? I wanna see her. How big is she now? Do you feed her frozen pinkies or large mice? Ok enough with the questions lol. To answer yours dh is a connotation people use on gw to refer to dear hubby or the better/worse half lol.
    karyn,
    Funny how the guys are the ones who don't like snakes. I'm not sure why mine hates them so much, he grew up in the desert so had friends that got bit by rattlers and such so... One time we were dove hunting and a rattle snake struck the back of his hiking boot. Luckily it didn't go all the way through. I love snakes though, spiders too but not the poisonous ones. I had the coolest yellow and black Orb Weaver guarding my bananas last summer.

jblaschke, I agree that biodegradable would probably rot in a wet enviornment. What about clay/terra cotta? they are porous so moss could grow on the outside. The inside could be sealed (pruning seal spray works good for that- but would let it air out a few days before placing in the tank) so roots couldn't adhere. Not sure about the terracotta-just an idea. Probably should be careful of the clay pots made in Mexico though, because some mexican clay pottery contains lead. I am not sure what lead could do to a snake but it prob isn't good.
    ~SJN

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Unglazed terracotta would probably be a good choice, as per the ever-knowledgeable Myles Irvine:

Plants grown in pots outside over the warmer months are likely to have the nutrients washed out of the soil if there is a lot of rain. One of the best ways to reduce this problem is to grow your plants in clay pots with broken bits of pot & sharp sand at the foot of the soil. The clay surface is always negatively charged & the plants can pick up the positive ions easily off the clay surface. Note that in very hot climates clay pots are not practical as they dry out too quickly. Nevertheless broken bits of clay pot can be put in the base of plastic pots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Flow

• karyn1
    16 years ago

SJN I had a beautiful spider in the yard last summer. She had made an egg case on a baby gate I had blocking a set of steps up to the 3rd deck level. I wouldn't let anyone move the gate so they had to go all the way around the other side of the yard to get up to the pool level. They were none too happy. lol I relocated the egg case after she died and am hoping they've successfully hatched.

Feeding pinkies (frozen or alive) freaks me out. I can't feed grown mice or even goldfish so I have to stick with reptiles that will live on crickets, various grubs and caterpillars. My DH went to the pet store to pick up some frozen blood worms for my fish. The guy gave him a bag and he didn't think to look in it. Well he got home, opened the bag and it was full of frozen pinkies! We both freaked. lol
    Karyn

• atheris_squamigera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yeah, I feed my big female medium frozen rats, and my baby male pinkies. I can't do live feedings, when they die at the factory they are usually gassed which is a lot less painful than being squeezed so hard that all of your little bones break. I hate live feedings, they are cruel, and the snake doesn't need any hunting skill in captivity, and the rat often hurts the snake. I dont know how to post pictures in this forum, but I have a picture of the baby, his name is Mercutio, and if you want to see him follow the link: http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/112665IMG_2509-med.JPG my sub-adult female is named Kajika and I'll take a picture of her as soon as she sheds so you can see the irridescence.sp? i live in a small town so I have to make a weekend of it if I ever want to buy anything. So list: two unglazed terracotta pots, bananas, and a fan system(to help minimize mold) how does that sound? and I have one question about the bananas, my snake reacts VERY badly to mold. She will actually go crazy. so should I just get an organic fertilizer with extra potassium in it? or should I just bury the banana peel really deep? My hugest worry with my vivarium is mold, because its the perfect environment for it, and my snake is incrediably sensitive to it.

16 years ago

atheris,
    Mercutio is sooo pretty! Love the way the light makes him greenish. I dont think I would put the banana peel in the terrarium if your snake is sensitive to mold. The bananas are good normally, but not in a small humid enviornment. Organic is prob good but dont use anything that is gonna rot or mold directly in the soil. Passiflora luckily don't need tons of fertilizer anyways. I guess you could just take the passie out once in a while (being that it will be in a pot) when you really need to fertilize it and foliar feed it(make sure it is well watered first), let the leaves dry afterwards for a day, the plant should have absorbed what it is gonna use by that time, then spray the leaves off really good to remove any excess fertilizer before replacing it in the habitat. Maybe someone else has some ideas on this too?

karyn1,
    That looks like the spider I had (can't find the photo right now) but mine also made a huge eggsack in the middle of a charles grimaldi brug tree. I left it on, over the winter and it finally sorta disintegrated. I never saw any baby spiders, I hope some lived though, would love to have some more. Haha I'm looking at the spider pic on the baby gate and thinking of the song "the itsy bitsy spider..." -Not!! LOL
    ~SJN

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions