Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krstofer_gw

Anyone have an idea who this is?

Krstofer
19 years ago

This guy's been growing outside for a year & a half now.. Almost bloomed last fall but the cold killed the buds.

Was just outside & I found the first spring bloom open. I thought it was going to be an easy Id... Not so.

Anyone seen this one before?

{{gwi:1127326}}
{{gwi:1127327}}
{{gwi:1127328}}

The flower's not the best example I know, but there's several more buds who should be opening in the next couple days.

Comments (16)

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

calling all passiflora-heads... This looks like lady margaret right??? Thats what I think

=DC

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Could be Margret. A brief image search pulls images who are close.

I hope it is- That would be cool & well worth the effort of keepin' the little guy alive these past years.

Here's the leaves:
    {{gwi:1127329}}

And where they live:
    {{gwi:1127331}}

I just stapeled plastic 'bird guard' to the wall, placed the pots underneath & let them go to town. They're watered once a week on a timer- Could be in a better sunnier position, but that's the best space I had available for them.
    I pretty much leave them alone to do their thing- Check 'em occasionally for flowers & dirt moisture levels...

There's Maybe-margret, white caerulea, platyloba, something called "gute-gute" (anyone heard of that? Have a 'real name'?) and a couple who have lost their tags & become anonomous till they bloom- The exact thing that happened to the now named 'maybe-margret'.

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

I have Lady Margarets that I got from two different sources. Mine have a bit larger white center but that may come in time with yours. I have two different colors. One is a darker maroon and the other is a bit lighter in color with the white center. Point being I think we have a bit of mutation that has taken place. Love the plant. The leaves in your picture looks right. Is it a slow grower? All of my LM are.

Patsy

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh yes- Definately slow. Prolly only 10% of the plant mass in the pic is the margret & all plants are about the same age.

The super-wallcovering guy is the white caerulea.. Would be nice if he blooms, I'm interested in comparing it with my other caeruleas who are about to bloom any day.

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

gute-gute = guate guate, a native name for passiflora in some places (particularly passiflora murucuja and seemannii)

I think,
    Dc

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

I have seen on eBay someone selling passiflora seemannii as guate guate... does your gute gute have purple ligularis-like flowers?? got any seeds??

Dc

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

I have a passiflora caerulea (unknown type) and it has been with me for two years and refuses to bloom... is this normal??? it grows incessantly fast 2" a day-ish. and mutates frequently (2 pointed leafes, three pointed leaves, 8 or 9 pointed leaces, leaves with only tow full lobes etc...) It is now growing up a six foot pole in the corner of my bedroom until it can go outside and it has scaled this and is on its way back down.

anything I can do to induce blooming???
    Dc

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Seemannii... I think we just solved a'nother "what is it" riddle. I remember buying one of those long ago... & promptly lost it. Prolly because of the gute-gute tag.
    No flowers.. No buds.. NOthing. Yet.

I have no idea how to induce them to flower- Just like getting the seeds to sprout I wish & cross my fingers alot. I'd like to be able to say "changing the light / dark cycle will induce flowering".. It's possible with most plants who flower in the fall to trick them into thinking it's time but passi's don't seem to pay attention to that.

Margret tried to bloom last fall & failed. Too cold. One of my caeruleas has buds all over it as does 2 of the ... purple ones (forget the name at the moment) but none of them have opened a flower yet. Should be a flurry of activity out there soon, unless the current cold snap gets all the buds. Again.

Hopefully I'll get several varieties open at once & can try some crosses- We'll see.All the seedlings I bought years ago are finally coming to adulthood... Couple more years I'll have over 100 varieties capable of flowering.

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

I have my Caeruleas in the ground. They are evergreen in zone 8. In the past 6 years or so I have seen them covered in ice with buds on them. Both the white (Constance Elliot) and purple are now in full bloom after a freeze a couple of weeks ago and frost enough to kill my tomatoes last Saturday morning. All of mine are in full blazing Texas sun. One of my Lady Margarets bloomed all winter in my bathroom. She is nearly a year old and is still a small plant. I think this plant uses its energy to produce blooms instead of extreme growth.

Patsy

• zostropz
    19 years ago

Getting back to the Seemanii question, this vine has to get very very large to flower, and it loves heat and humidity. I grew it for 4 years here in San Diego with no luck on the flowers.
    Mark

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

horizontal branches??

I have heard that passis will only produce buds and flowers on horizontal branches... My nonblooming caerulea is only just starting to branch

incarnata growth rate?

I have a few 5-day-old incarmata seedlings and they have not grown in the slightest since sprouting... how fast do they usually grow... am I just stupid when it comes to passiflora??

Dc

• jamesco
    19 years ago

I've never seen proof for the horizontal branch bit. I figure that a Blooming-size plant will likely have horizontal branches at that point... My incarnata (new to this one) was Mail-order 2" pot and that thing is growing faster than my potted tropicals. But Seedlings: (this goes for many, many vines) the cotyledon/baby leaves are the plant's first investment in solar energy, and are very efficient and tough. If you do not see top growth, there is (more importantly) growth going on undersoil. Be patient with them and baby them until they aren't babies.

Tell us how they do in the real world of vine eat vine.
    James

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

well, the incarnatas had a sudden and severe growth spurt and shot up to 1" high and I can see the new leaf coming in, but now they're stuck at this stage... and the new leaf coming in appears to be one-lobed... is this normal for incarnata
    ??

THanks,
    Dc

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What's that saying.. "A watched [something] never... [does it's thing]."

When I look in on my seedlings every day I'm thinking: "What the heck? You guys gonna... Is this light coming on? What the heck is going on?" they grow so slow. But when I forget or something and only look every 3 or 4 days POW do they pop up.

I have found that it's often damn near impossible to tell who has sprouted from looking at the seedlings. S'pecially when they're less than 3 or 4" tall & haven't started developing 'adult' leaves. I've got mandarin oranges, papayas, and a couple hundred other things who all look like each other when they come up. Sometimes I get really lucky & lose the tag... Then I have to wait 2 years for it to bloom 'till I can ID it.
    Passi's are especially hard to ID from the leaves because the multi-lobed ones sometimes seem to throw different lobe numbers at random, s'pecialy when young. Once they reach a couple months old though they're pretty much locked in.

So I wouldn't worry too much with yours at such a young age. Before you know it they'll be feet long and crawling all over the place.

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

one incarnata has just put out it's first trilobed leaf (only it's second true leaf) and the other is only on onelobed. passiflora foetida is germinating now and is about 3/4" tall now.

THanks,
    Dc

• jamesco
    19 years ago

They sound in good shape. 3-lobes on a second leaf is a great rate.
    Update on this little P. incarnata:
    I took it out of the 2" pot (Thanks, McZ Bulbs) and set it into a gallon, pinching it at 18"
    Its spot outdoors is the next to get overhauled, so it must wait untill then. And bloom. Here it is, one stem, ten leaves and three flowerbuds. If this thing is so eager to bloom, I can't wait to see it mature in the ground! I wish my tropicals would bloom so easily! Now I look at them in disgust. "He's doing it, why can't you, you old pampered schmucks!"

Happy Spring
    James in Beautiful CO

Sponsored