Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf curl?

Posted by jblaschke 8b TX (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 14:38

Folks, I'm wondering if anyone here might have some knowledge to help me out. Robert over on the Arizona Gardening forum was kind enough to help me secure a passiflora mexicana a little while back. The plant was in sad shape when it arrived (through no fault of Robert's) but with a good bit of coddling and lots of warm weather, it's putting out all sorts of new shoots and leaves.

The trouble is that recent leaves put out have been severely curled. P. mexicana has classic, double-lobed leaves, and the first few it put out were textbook. But everything it's putting out now is... bulbous, for lack of a better word. The leaves curl in a spherical shape as they grow. Not very attractive, and it can't be good for the plant. I've looked, and can't see any insects on it. No fungus or like disease is apparent. It's sheltered by a fence, so gets very little direct sunlight (early morning only). I'm puzzled. It's growing steadily, but this has me concerned. Any ideas?

(I'll try and post some images tonight)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf curl?

As promised, here are a couple of images. The quality's not the greatest--still getting used to the new digital camera (a cheap one) but maybe there's enough detail for someone to hazard a guess:

and

o

I think I would just wait it out a while. Make sure the soil isn't too wet. I've got some mexicana and it seems to just take a while to get started again in spring.

o

Thanks for the suggestion. We've had unseasonably warm weather here the past few weeks (topped 100 degrees Tuesday and Wednesday!) so I've been watering all our plants pretty heavily. Will cut back with the mexicana and see how it responds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here