Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passifreak

Passionflowers 2010

passifreak
13 years ago

Hi,

I want to show you my P. maliformis flower! She bloomed this year in April and I really love her flower. They smells like P. triloba!

If you have any pictures of your flowers this year PLEASE POST THEM HERE!

Comments (15)

• sodbuster
    13 years ago

That is a beautiful flower and a great photo as well.

• passifreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!

Have you any Passionflowers this year?

• sodbuster
    13 years ago

My vines are just now popping up. Some are in ideal spots and some will be moved.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That's very pretty. I hope that my malformis finally blooms this year. I started it from seed almost 2 years ago.

• passifreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

some pictures that I made on a Passionflowerexhibition in Germany!

P.brachyantha

P. membranacea - never thought that the flowers were so big in the lenght...they are about 10cm.

P. Wilgen K. Verkhoeff

P. ??? Tell me pls if you know what it is?

P. actinia

P. I don't know

P. elegans

P. Betty Myles Young

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Beautiful passies. I'm also surprised that the membranacea flowers are so big. I wonder if I'll ever get mine to bloom?

• passifreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think you can get yours to bloom if you have a big greenhouse and the volunteer told me that P. membranacea need a big pot to groà flower well!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The friend that sent me the membranacea grows his outside and it's quite large but I don't think his has bloomed yet. I might have a problem because I cut my passsies back to get them into the greenhouse in the fall.

• eristal
    13 years ago

I need to get some pictures on here... soon!

A few comments:

- The only P. membranacea that I have seen bloom have been in two different places at Strybing, and one is eating a fence, the other eating a 50 foot tree. They are HUGE! I hope it is possible to get them to bloom smaller, since mine is tiny still, but I am not holding my breath. At least they have cool foliage.

- The Passiflora you have labeled above as "P. I don't know" looks just like P. 'Connor Cailean' by Rob McPhail. If I am right, you probably saw him there showing it. It is a hybrid of P. loefgrenii Corupa x P. caerulea. Great plant!

Anyway, I will get pics on here in a few days...

Eric

• mark4321_gw
    13 years ago

Eric,

Surely you've seen the P. membranacea at Annie's Annuals in Richmond (accross the Bay from SF) in bloom? It's not as big as the other two... I check mine every day for buds--hopefully soon. I'll post even a bud here.

Since the request was made for flowers this year I'll post a couple.

P. edulis 'Nancy Garrison' (source Grassy Knoll) just opened three flowers today--on adjacent nodes, which I find strange. It has 5 flowers open, it's first of the season, although it looks like one may have been a day ahead of the other 4.

{{gwi:490536}}

P. loefgrenii (source Strybing) has been blooming for a while, but I can't resist one of those. This is a super plant for those who don't grow it. It forms buds (and long peduncles) on every node. I'd propagate it a lot more if that weren't the case. Open today:

• passifreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

edit my post

....a big pot to grows and flower well!

@eristal

Thank you for the information!
    yeah it looks like 'Connor Cailean'

@mark

You're edulis is great! Where do you grow it?

@all

Which kind of fertilizer do you take for your Passionvines?

• mark4321_gw
    13 years ago

passifreak,

Where, geographically? In the SF Bay area, about 45 minutes South of San Francisco. The same climate as San Jose.

Where, in the garden? In the ground, next to a North-facing fence. It gets less sun than I would think would be ideal for P. edulis and it blooms and produces well. I've had it for a little less than 2 years. I don't think P. edulis 'Frederick', which is next to it, even has any buds at this point.

I just use Miracle Grow for fertilizer, half-strength for things in pots. Fish emulsion occasionally.

• passifreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mark,

WOW Awesome!
    I want to live in America. lol

That's very interesting with the fertilizer, because most of the German Enthusiasts use a fertilizer called Hakaphos red, blue and green.

But this P. edlis is nice!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Weird now the P. loefgrenii pic isn't showing up for me. I saw it this morning. I just love that color combination.

• passifreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

I was on the 28. Mai at the Ulmers and they had alot great Passionflowers. I made some pics there.

P. Anastasia

P. Marijke

P. Showy Shadow

P. tarapotina

P. cuneata

P. Byron Beauty

P. herbertiana

P. Sunburst x cuprea

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!