Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you suggest a passiflora?

Posted by funnthsun 7B - NC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 15:38

I am looking for a passiflora to put on a trellis and would love some suggestions, as I am completely overwhelmed with the search results that I have found so far. Here is what I WANT (I know one doesn't always get what one wants:)

1) A passiflora that doesn't spread by runners or become invasive (relatively easy to control). Not a monster in size, either. The trellis is only so big and don't want it reaching to other trellises, either, unless it's easy to control if it does.

2) White petal with preferred blue corollas, but can be dark purple. No pink anywhere! Petals can have a green tinge, that's fine.

3) Hardy in Zone 7

4) Long-bloomer

Well, there is my wants, so can you think of one that meets all or most of these wishes? Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you suggest a passiflora?

• Posted by mark4321 10a CA Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 18:45

I'm not sure if such a plant exists. The problem is that plants hardy to zone 7 (and there aren't many) survive precisely because their deep roots survive the cold.

One possibility is Passiflora tucamanensis. However, I'm not sure if i will survive your zone. I've been meaning to ask a question about cold hardiness on the Passiflora Facebook group. If I do I'll see if I can include it, and report back here.

I'm pretty sure P. tucamanensis spreads underground to some extent. Whether it is aggressive is the important question. If it's modest, you will be happy to get some extras, as this is a hard-to-find variety, that others might be interested in trading for, or buying. I believe the best source is probably Jim Nevers, passiflorista on Ebay. Seeds from him may no be cheap, but they should be viable. He just posted in the Facebook group that he will be selling more seeds, but not plants.

A related possibility is P. 'Guglielmo Betto' (P. incarnata x P. tucumanensis). I've heard very positive things about the plant. Again, i don't know anything about its hardiness or whether it spreads aggressively.

Beyond that, I would just get a less hardy variety, grow it in a pot, and sink the pot into the ground every year. I'm sure people on this forum know ways to overwinter plants inside that requires a minimum amount of hassle. With that approach, almost anything is fair game. Look at a vendor's site, make up a list of your favorites, and then ask how big, how floriferous, etc.

One to consider; P. mooreana. Modest sized, and the flowers are reported to be intensely fragrant. Zone 10, think.

Probably the best site to look at is Grassy Knoll. I'll give a link to P. 'Guglielmo Betto'. I suspect she underestimates the hardiness, but I don't know for sure.

I suspect P. 'Guglielmo Betto', might come close to what you are looking for, probably spreading to some degree. The big question is hardiness. I've heard great things about that plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. 'Guglielmo Betto' at Grassy Knoll Exotic Plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here