Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground or pots? And other newbie questions...

Posted by Shmeezee none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 15:47

Hello all! I'm new to both passion fruit growing and Florida. I've got several giant yellow flavicarpas that recently sprouted, and I'm wondering where to put them. I've got a strip of dirt along the fence that could do, but I've been warned that they will take over my life.

If I keep them in containers, will they still fruit? How large a container?

Also: I've gotten the impression that purple hybrids will do better than regular purples in S.Fla. Has that been your experience?

And finally: any preventative measures to keep the bugs away? My poor tomatoes are being eaten by literally every possible type of pest, as I fear all my edibles will be!

Thanks for the help... I've been getting quite an education drifting about in these forums.

Cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground or pots? And other newbie questions...

If you plant them in the ground now, as small as they are, the slugs will eat them. Leave them in pots until they outgrow a one gallon pot, then plant them in the ground. As for pests on your other plants, welcome to Florida - that's one of the prices you pay for living here! I use a lot of slug bait, but other than that, there's not much you can do. I have found it worth living here, despite all the critters we deal with.

o
RE: Ground or pots? And other newbie questions...

Ah, thanks! I guess I just need to be patient and actually let them grow in a bit. I'm probably the most impatient gardener ever... Constantly hovering over my seedlings, willing them to grow faster and wondering if I should be doing anything else..

And yes, I'm trying to cultivate a kind of zen when it comes to the bugs. The climate just means I can grow all sorts of interesting tropical things!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here