Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

New passie has scale

karyn1
17 years ago

I just received some more passies. The first two I unpacked looked good, nice green unblemished foliage. The last one I unpacked didn't look quite as good. There was some yellowed foliage but I figured that was from being shipped. I started staking the plants and found scale at the base of the sanguineolenta : ( At first I thought it might have been some perlite that was stuck to the stems but it wasn't. I have them all far away from my other plants. Even though two looked alright I'm afraid they'll get it from being in the same box. I might have to put them outside because I don't have anywhere in the house that's far away from my other plants. I'm pretty sure they'll die from the cold but I don't know what else to do. I'm certainly not putting them in the greenhouse. I did contact the nursery where I bought them and asked what they would like me to do. Just waiting to hear back from them. I'm so upset because I really wanted these varieties. The others were a matthewsii and a Susan Brigham. If it was almost any other type of infestation I wouldn't be so concerned but scale is so difficult to get rid of, especially since I don't use insecticides. I'm having a bad plant year so far. First my plumerias that I bought on Ebay were never delivered, now this : ( Is someone trying to tell me something? lol

Karyn

Comments (9)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was shocked at the reply I received from the nursery. How do you knowingly send out infested plants? I don't care that you think it's a mealy bug infestation instead of a scale. Does that make it any less of a problem? It certainly looks more like a soft scale than a mealy bug as there are no cottony masses and the bugs are also smooth. They are soft bodied but all the mealy bugs I've seen have been sort of fuzzy and I've dealt with soft scales before. They are so difficult to erradicate. I'm going to copy the response that I got from the nursery. Am I crazy or is this completely unacceptable?
    Karyn

****Dear Karyn:

I'm so sorry!! Are you sure that it is scale and not mealybugs? I've never seen scale in my greenhouse, but I did have some mealybugs which I sprayed with a systemic a day or so before your plants shipped. They should be dead or dying in the next couple of days. I really think that the systemic will take them out although sometimes it takes a week or so to get the ones on the root. If it doesn't, please let me know!

Best Wishes, *****************

I didn't post the name because I didn't want to publicly blast this nursery. I've bought from them before and never had anything like this happen.

• angie83
    17 years ago

I have done the same thing when I came home with some passifloras with the worse spidermites ever Im sure you caught it in time .I released 1500 ladybugs today and ill get somemore in a few weeks they keep the whiteflys and bugs down were I can control them alittle better not sure but think ladybugs will eat scale but not sure might be worth a try.I do know the give them spidermite hell.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't release ladybugs or mantises yet. The plants are still in my house because of the low temps and there's no way I'm putting an infested plant in the greenhouse. I go through several thousand ladybugs every summer. They are the best way to get rid of aphids.
    Karyn

• angie83
    17 years ago

Dont the mantises eat your cats.I wanted to release some but was afread they would eat my caterpillars.I should of waited a day to release my ladybugs we had a bad rain spell here the day I released them hope they dont all die.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The mantises will get some cats but not enough to worry about. It's still better than the alternative of using chemical pest controls. You should always release your ladybugs at dusk. This will keep most of them where you want them as long as there's a food supply available. I wouldn't worry about a thunderstorm. They ladybugs will find someplace on the plants to ride out the storm.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Scale is somewhat easy to find (and crush) on small, new plants. I found some on a coreacea I got a couple of years ago, and like you, I thought it was misplaced pearlite before I realized what was up. Scale is controlled by an application of horticultural oil, I believe.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've battled scale on a number of plants, especially citrus and it's difficult to control. Horticultural oils will kill some but you usually need to resort to a systemic insecticide. That's something I avoid. I don't even like using neem. I just don't want this plant and the more I think about it the angrier I get. A knowingly infected plant never should have been sold.
    Karyn

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Try spraying a mixture of lemon dish soap & water. Make sure that you spray heavily around where they are at, getting into all the crevises. Continue to spray every other day. You can spray rinse the plant to remove excess soap residue & check the status on the scale, wipe off any that you can. If you have a foam handsoap container it will put a heavier saturation over the scales to help suffocate them.
    I had scale attack some of my orchids & they are all clear now.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've tried dish soap with moderate success in the past. The nursery sent a replacement and the infested plant went in the trash.
    Karyn