Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vajeff

How to remove passiflora incarnata?

vajeff
11 years ago

Where did this forum come from... I didn't notice it before. Should've posted here instead.

I have three passiflora incarnata that I grew from seed last year (big mistake). It bloomed and looked great. Unfortunately, it is starting to spread to every part of the garden via underground runners. I have 2-3' long above-ground sprouts everywhere... even up through the azaleas, emerging on the other side 4-5' away from the original vine. They're growing at an alarming rate. I tried digging some of them up, but they're very hard to follow in our dense soil without breaking or losing the leading root, not to mention that there is no way for me to get inside the azaleas to remove what's down there. I might save a few sprouts for potting up (never will I place a passiflora in the ground again!), but the rest needs to be completely eradicated.

Any suggestions on how to kill passiflora incarnata's root system? I've been reading that roundup should work, but at the rate these are snaking through my garden, I'm a bit leery. I've also read that 2,4-D (Grazon P+D) and PastureGard HL might work... granted this isn't farmland or anything of the sort, but if it works it works. If I knew what the tuber looked like, I wouldn't hestitate to dig it up and inject it with glyphosate. Starting to become somewhat desperate...

The irony in all of this is that last fall I finally managed to remove the rest (I hope) of the underground runner/tuber system of a very thorny bramble-like weed... in that very same location as the passion flower. Go figure.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz