Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove passiflora incarnata?

Posted by vajeff 7b VA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 16:58

Where did this forum come from... I didn't notice it before. Should've posted here instead.

I have three passiflora incarnata that I grew from seed last year (big mistake). It bloomed and looked great. Unfortunately, it is starting to spread to every part of the garden via underground runners. I have 2-3' long above-ground sprouts everywhere... even up through the azaleas, emerging on the other side 4-5' away from the original vine. They're growing at an alarming rate. I tried digging some of them up, but they're very hard to follow in our dense soil without breaking or losing the leading root, not to mention that there is no way for me to get inside the azaleas to remove what's down there. I might save a few sprouts for potting up (never will I place a passiflora in the ground again!), but the rest needs to be completely eradicated.

Any suggestions on how to kill passiflora incarnata's root system? I've been reading that roundup should work, but at the rate these are snaking through my garden, I'm a bit leery. I've also read that 2,4-D (Grazon P+D) and PastureGard HL might work... granted this isn't farmland or anything of the sort, but if it works it works. If I knew what the tuber looked like, I wouldn't hestitate to dig it up and inject it with glyphosate. Starting to become somewhat desperate...

The irony in all of this is that last fall I finally managed to remove the rest (I hope) of the underground runner/tuber system of a very thorny bramble-like weed... in that very same location as the passion flower. Go figure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove passiflora incarnata?

Dig a small hole,

get a soda can,

fill the can with Roundup or vinegar,

set the pop can securely in the hole and firm the soil around the can,

clip an inch off the end of the vine,

stick the vine down in the can,

tape the plant in the can opening so no air or moisture gets in, and it will kill the vine roots that drink it up.

You most likely will have several pop up, so just keep doing it until they are all gone.

o

Not trying to benefit from your problem... but I am looking to obtain cuttings or rooted plants of p. incarnata, if you're trying to destroy it would there be any way to work you sending something to me to grow?

o

These plants make thick stands in the wild; I've seen one plant-borg cover hundreds of square feet.

The plant has a fragile stem, and appears to be specially designed to break off at the top of the root - I discovered that I had to be careful when digging wild plants, or I'd just end up with a stem with a white end. If you can loosen below with a long spade, you're much more likely to get the root.

Unfortunately, if your soil is tough to dig them out of, it's just going to be a game of attrition. If you keep pulling and/or poisoning the young shoots, it will wear out the roots. But it's not an easy game to win.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my blog entry about Passiflora incarnata - wildcrafting and jelly making

o

I've been looking for this vine, at the nurseries here in Miami, FL. I want to plant it for the butterflies. I already have the Lady Margaret, some Corky, and one that was sold to me as a Blue Passion Vine. I would love to get a cutting if your getting rid of yours.

o

ilopez, if you want seeds, I'd be happy to send some, or I can dig you some starts - they would need to go in a box Priority Mail to get there without too much damage. Seeds I'd be willing to send for free; starts I'd be willing to send for cost of postage.

I planted seed this year, and have nine foot tall vines in a big pot, with flowers most days. They can get quite big fast from seeds as long as the nutrition and water is sufficient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here