Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillars, already! Help!

Posted by bkay2000 8 Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 17:10

The caterpillars are already here. I took 3 big ones off on Sunday. Any ideas on how to deter them? Last year, I picked them off almost daily, but they still ate my vines down to stems. Two died, one limps and the last one looked like it would recover. That's where I found the caterpillars on Sunday.

Constance Elliott is the variety. It seems to be the favorite of the cates.

The caterpillars used to come about the first of September. Last year, they came in the spring and I had to fight them all year. It seems that this will be another good good caterpillar year.

Any ideas (besides BT)?

Bkay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillars, already! Help!

I useally have them but not this year ,Last year they ate 24 plants to ground flowers and all.Im hoping they give my passifloras alittle more growing time before they hit this year.

o
RE: Caterpillars, already! Help!

Normally, I have two big Incense--the parent and a vigorous daughter plant--that I move cats to from my more sheltered passis. Unfortunately, the ice storm we had in January hammered both of these Incense vines and they're very, very reluctant to come back. So I'm sort of up a creek--the big caerulea in the back yard is probably going to bear the brunt until my incarnata kick in the growth overdrive.

I don't actually have cats yet this year, thank goodness. A few stray butterflies have come by and lain eggs on my Constance Eliott and Lady Margaret, but I've crushed those when I've found them. I won't kill a cat, but I have no qualms about the eggs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here