Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison_proctor

propagation

Allison Proctor
16 years ago

Has anyone out there had any luck propagating P. membranacea? I have tried several ways but alas.. Also I have another unidentified one with sort of fuzzy leaves that refuses to clone also. What is your favorite no fail method of propagating?

Comments (5)

• chena
    16 years ago

This is what has worked for me the best!! Best of Luck!!!
    Kylie

Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:13

I've had the most success in rooting passies using florists' foam ('wet' foam) as my rooting medium. Soak the foam for 10-15 minutes, then cut it into small cubes no more than an inch on a side and place them in a shallow tray with enough water to come half-way up the sides. Cut your passie cuttings into two-node cuttinggs, snipping about a quarter-inch below the bottom node. (Note---it's EXTREMELY important to be certain the 'bottom' node is actually the rootward end, and it's EASY to get confused with passies---always work from the tip down, just to be certain.) Carefully remove the bottom set of leaves, and I usually rreduce the size of the leaves on the top node, too. Dip the bottom end in just a touch of rooting powder, and insert them into the foam until the bottom node is just barely below the surface. Place the tray in bright but indirect light, and keep the foam moist at all tiimes. Once you see the roots coming through the foam, they're ready to pot up. As the roots grow, they'll break down the foam by themselves.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Most craft stores carry the foam or you can ask a florist. Just be sure to ask for Oaisis blocks and not Sahara. Oaisis is for fresh flowers and Sahara is for dried arrangements.
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

I have just bought some P. Quadrangularis Granadilla seeds. Not sure how fresh these seeds are. Have been reading about the pre-soaking. What else is there to do for these seeds? I have only 10 so don't want to waste any. This Passie is supposed to have edible fruit. Has anyone tasted it? This will be my first attempt at growing Passies from seed (can't you tell? lol) Appreciate any and all advice. TIA Gloria

• passionflow
    16 years ago

Hi lalameija
    Irrespective of technique P. membranacea can be very very difficult if you are using soft stems. You really need to use the more woody stems from an established plant - but make sure that you have a clone that flowers as some don't. Kylie's post re technique looks sensible but membranacea roots may be too delicate to cope with breaking the foam down. Some propagators are a bit leaky so for maximum humidity try inflated sealed plastic bags with heat underneath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora cuttings

• Krstofer
    16 years ago

Clone membranacea? lol.. Jeez I'm having enough trouble just keeping mine alive! I'm on like my 4th try & with fingers crossed... It seems to be doing ok for now. No dropped leaves, but no new growth either.

As for rooting- I'm going to try that foam method. I wonder- WHy not get some liquid rooting hormone & for the first foam soak use a dilute solution of it?

And... Quadrangularis. If you can't grow it from seeds you can find a clone on ebay or one of the family (there's a zillion it seems ones that are close- same leaf, same(ish) flower) there as well. Also they can be found at home depot in the warmer areas.
    Fruits are the size of a football, so I've heard. When I had mine I was never able to pollinate it..
    This vine is BIG tho so be prepared to give up the room or cut it back alot.

Sponsored