Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

My newest passie

karyn1
17 years ago

I just got a Crimson Tears. The flowers looked pretty in the pics but I don't have any open buds yet. The foliage is very similar to my LL. I'm not sure what this is a cross from. Can someone tell me if this is a sterile variety or will it produce fruit? If it can produce fruit what varieties can I use to pollinate it? The plant is enormous and really healthy. It's all wrapped around stakes that are about 3'tall and I can just imagine how long the vine would be if I unwrapped it. It has a number of buds but unfortunately I have to keep it inside because our temps are below freezing AGAIN! I'll post pics when the flowers open. I've gotten the nicest plants from Zone 9 Tropicals this year.

Karyn

Comments (8)

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Very cool, karyn1! Crimson Tears is a beautiful flower--sort of a mirror universe version of Lady Margaret. It's name is dedicated to the victims of the 9-11 terrorist attacks.

It's actually a very complex cross bred by Roland Fischer in 2002, so it's new, too--here's the formula:

(((P. kermesima x P. caerulea) x P. racemosa) x P. Gritensis) x P. amethystina

In the Ulmer & MacDougal book, it has fruit listed as being oblong, 5-6 cm x 2.5-3.7 cm, dark green and pubescent. No word on what you cross it with to make it fruit, or if the fruit is viable or hollow.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. I had no idea about the name. What a nice tribute. I can't wait for flowers. I hope it warms up here soon. Most of my passies have bloomed inside but the colors don't have the same intensity that they have when they flower outside, even under the metal halide bulbs.
    Karyn

• chena
    17 years ago

Oh Karyn Congrats on your new Passi... I have only seen the pic's but it is a beauty...
    I got a package from Grassy Knolls yesterday... WOW what great plants they sent.. I got Amalia~Preciosa~Sunburst and colivauxii..
    I got up this morning and it is SNOWING.. Just a couple of days ago it was 83*... This is crazy ..

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Don't feel bad Chena I also woke up to snow after a week in the 70's & 80's. This is just too screwy. What happened to global warming?! That Preciosa is just gorgeous. I wonder if it's as easy as the Alata to propagate. Grassy Knolls has the nicest passie selection. I got some plants from them last year. They are out of a number of what I was looking at this year. Hopefully they'll have more soon. They have a number of the hybrids that Myles's developed.
    Karyn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

I couldn't find any info on specifically what to pollinate it with but caerulea or incarnata or perhaps a purple edulis type, might work. I don't know how pretty of flowers you would get with those but might get good fruit. I would stematically try everything and keep track of what works. Glad to know about zone9tropical's plants. I just ordered a jade vine from them-can't wait! Looks like they have some cool gingers too.
    jblaschke,
    cool info on crimson tears' namesake. That does it I have to have it lol.
    Chena,
    I just got a package a few days from Grassy Knolls as well. I got Anastasia, Victoria, and Pink Festival. They are all gorgeous! Two have vines longer than my arm and are very green and healthy, so I am happy. Can't wait to see the blooms in person on these new hybrids!!
    I wanted Presiosa too but it was gone once I went back to order it lol..Maybe we can trade later once they get big enough that we can take/start some cuttings :)
    I can't belive its snowing for y'all after all this nice weather. I gues Old Man Winter has to have one last say...Hope it gets warmer for you guys. It's been hot here, I'm off to take the dog and kids to the lake lol.
    ~SJN

• chena
    17 years ago

LOL...No Wonder I can't get a Pink Festavil..You got it...I have Anastaasia~ Exoniensis and vitifolia that should ship in a couple of weeks..They still owe my one plant after that I am waiting for Umbilicata I really want that one...I will have to go back and take a look at Victoria..I could spend a fourtune there...LOL...
    Congrats on your new Passi's...
    Chena

• chena
    17 years ago

I went back and took a peek at Victoria.. WOW that is beautiful.. You know that means my wish list just go longer...LOL.
    BAR NONE.. They (Grassy Knolls/Elizabeth) are the nicest people.. I have spent time on the phone and always gotten a response to my E~mails..Absolutly the BEST place to do business I have found..I guess I better get to work on that fourtune....LOL..They have alot of things I want...
    Chena

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just placed an order with Grassy Knolls. I figured that I'd better get the others I was looking at before they sell out too. They are sold out of so many that I'd been looking at. I ordered a Sanguineolenta, Mathewsii and a Susan Brigham. I don't have any mature pink passies and it will be God knows how long until/if my Antioquensis seedlings reach blooming size. The plants I got from them last year were very nice, not nearly as big as the ones I've bought from Zone 9 but nice and healthy and they grew fast enough. Now if it would only get warm enough to put them outside!
    Karyn

Sponsored