Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

Passion Flower I.D.?

Mikey
18 years ago

Last Fall I received a rooted cutting of this plant that came to me as "Tiny Pink", however, I have been unable to confirm that name via searches on the Internet. The small flower is about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Anyone know the name?

{{gwi:1127659}}

Comments (6)

• jblaschke
    18 years ago

Ooh, a tricky one. From the leaf shape and flower size, I'd say this is a Decaloba species. Since there aren't many red/pink Decalobas out there, the suspects are narrowed down significantly.

P. sanguinolenta? I think so, or a closely related type. The leaves look right, and the flowers you have are almost an exact match, except that sanguinolenta flowers are supposed to measure about two inches across. Still, it's small and pink, so I'd bet that's what you have.

If you ever manage to get any cuttings rooted, I'd be interested in a trade.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. sanguinolenta

• romando
    18 years ago

Hi there! It was from me. I learned after I'd sent it to you that it is indeed sanguinolenta, which has p. citrina (which I also have) as a parent. The nursery I bought it from (a reputable one, even!) really had it labeled as merely 'tiny pink'. I laughed even as I put it in my cart... LOL
    Anyway, I'm so happy that it has bloomed for you! I have many many passionflowers, and it is the only one that made fruit for me! Not edible fruit, mind you (it's tiny), but something to gather new seeds from.

The black bamboo you sent me is putting out growth again, and the black has spread to the 1/2 way point in the height now... Thank you so much!

Amanda 'romando'

• Mikey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey guys, that's great! Thanks for the I.D. Although I must admit that it will be easier to remember the name of "Tiny Pink" than "sanguinolenta"......

Jblaschke: I'll certainly attempt to root a cutting for you. I will contact you again once it is rooted.

Amanda: Yes, it flowered for the first time this week and it has another bloom also. Thanks again for the trade. I'm glad the bamboo survived. Come May you should see it putting up a new culm or two. Good luck keep it corraled LOL...

• jblaschke
    18 years ago

Romando, I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. P. sanguinolenta is a unique species, not a hybrid of P. citrina. It's native to Ecuador and has been cultivated since 1868 (at least, that's what Ulmer & MacDougal book on passionflowers says). Are you saying this "Tiny Pink" is actually a sanguinolenta/citrina cross? The pic doesn't look like it has *any* citrina in it, but I'll wager that'd be an interesting cross. Both are supposed to be vigorous flower producers.

• romando
    18 years ago

Yes, that is my understanding. The blooms do look just like those of my citrina, just deep pink. I read it somewhere online, though for the life of me, I can't remember where. But I did find this on Dave's Garden:
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1564/index.html

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! However: in the soil surrounding my own mature sanguinolenta (which, Mikey, your cutting came from) are a BUNCH of little seedlings coming up. I've never attempted to germinate passiflora seeds, yet I don't recall planting anything under my passi. Can somebody show me a photo of a passiflora seedling? If that's what these are, I have at least 8 I could trade off... Right now, the first leaves are round, and the second set of leaves are sort of jagged around the edges. No more development than that yet. But they seem happy...

Amanda 'romando'

• Ethane Zizyphus
    18 years ago

As for a cross between sanguinolenta and citrina, that's what "Adularia" is.
    Amanda--as for the seedlings coming up, and you didn't plant them, I'd have my doubts as to them being passis. I'm attaching a link to a picture from passiflora.uk of an incarnata hybrid seedling. The passionflowers I've grown from seed, although none have been sanguinolenta, but they put up the seed leaves first, then the first leaves look a little different than the regular leaves but they seem to even out about the fifth leaf. So watch the until then. They also don't usually put out tendrils until they're like more than eight inches tall or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Seedling of incarnata

Sponsored