Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy vines

Posted by Michelle_Leigh FL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 18:46

Hello,
I am new here, just moved into a new house with lots of crazy crazy vines growing all over the fence and up about 40 feet in the air on top of an oak tree. There are 3 different types of flowers as far as I can see...big big red passion flowers, kinda purplish/green ones (all passifloras), and smaller green ones. Also BIG leaves. Any advice on how to cut these things back wihtout killing them? Also, can I put the flowers in a vase, or will they die quickly? I lived in apartments until now, so don't know what to do with an entire YARD. Could use some help here, too. Low maintenance advice, please! Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy vines

:) thankfully, if you need to, you can cut them back to about 3 feet tall, and they'll never notice the difference...

and yes, they look great in arrangements. some last longer than others, but it sounds like you have an abundance of them.

I'm jealous- the crazy vines on the run-down place I bought were a (fungi-ridden) grape, a bittersweet, and something like kudzu, but without even the benefit of flowers!

you might want to check out the 'new to gardening' forum...

there's a lot of 'low maintenance' help to be had there :)

and welcome!

o

You could also use what you cut back as trade material. If you're interested in getting some different plants for your new yard, I'm sure there are people out there who would be interested in trading -- me for one!!! :D

Dave

(email me if you're interested in pursuing a trade)

o

Hmm. I do not really know how to take a proper cutting. There would be a good chance that it wouldn't survive if I did that! I think maybe it needs new growth to do a cutting?, which I would have to hunt for...any tips? I've only stuck avocados in glasses of water and neglected my beautiful orchids (we can do that here in FL with no drawbacks!)

o

Some passiflora do root in water. Some need more time than others to root. Most do well if you get rooting powder and follow the directions on the label. Check out the PAssiflora Society of America site and look at some of the links. There will be many galleries of flowers and leaves to look at. How ever there are 500+ passies to choose from!!

o

I would love to have some of your cuttings.
Are you looking for anything special in trade or would you be willing to send for postage?

I am so envious. I would love you have your problem....LOL

o

Me too!! E mail me or check out my trade list; I think you really need to send some my way.

o

I WILL TRADE ANYTHING I HAVE FOR ALL THE RED PASSIFLORA I CAN GET, I HAVE SILK FLOSS TREES AND LOTS OF OTHER PLANTS TO TRADE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here