Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siam_cannas

ID needed, is this a passiflora?- pics

siam_cannas
14 years ago

Hi all i found this vine and i was wondering if it was a passiflora, i didnt see any flowers or fruit on it

{{gwi:481118}}

{{gwi:481119}}

{{gwi:481121}}

Siam.

Comments (22)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It looks like a passie but I don't know which one.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Some of the foliage (far right) looks kind of like biflora but I can't tell if that's part of the vine with the V shaped foliage

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes the foliage to the far right is also of the same vine. hmmm I wonder what it is?

• passionflow
    14 years ago

It is certainly a Passiflora subgenus Decaloba - which one I don't know. It can be very difficult to tell without close up pictures of leaves and flowers from all angles. The two lobe leaf shape is very unusual in flowering plants.
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora leaf shapes.

• jblaschke
    14 years ago

Looks very much like a p. standleyii I had once. Deep V boomerang leaves are almost a perfect match. You'd need a flower to be certain. Where was this found?

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Siam is located in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.

• elvis
    14 years ago

Huh? Trinidad and Tobago are in the Caribbean. Siam is now called Thailand...

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Siam is his name not his location.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol, yes my name is Siam, and i am from the caribbean :)
    I found that passiflora growing along a roadside, there is alot of it, but no flowers or fruit.
    Siam.

• kayjones
    14 years ago

These leaves look exactly like my variegated batwing Passion vine aka PASSIFLORA CORIACEA. Google it and see if that's what you have.

• passifreak
    14 years ago

mmmh thats 100 percent no coriacea!
    Looks more like Passiflora boenderi...

• jblaschke
    14 years ago

Absolutely not coriacea (aka sexocellata). There are several decaloba types that sport the boomerang-shape leaves, but coriacea isn't one of them.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I agree that it's not coriacea as well. Not sure about boenderi. Even though the shape is right I don't think it has the egg mimicry spots (whatever they are called).

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree, its not Coriacea, and it doesnt have any egg spots. Hopefully the small plants i have will grow, and i will get pics of the flowers and fruits.
    Siam.

• passionlove
    14 years ago

Looks like P. Tuberosa to me. I can't quite tell from the photos, but do some of the leaves have a purplish tinge to it? I'll find some photos and post them soon so we can compare.

• passionlove
    14 years ago

Looks like P. Tuberosa to me. I can't quite tell from the photos, but do some of the leaves have a purplish tinge to it? I'll find some photos and post them soon so we can compare.

• passionlove
    14 years ago

Alright here are the photos that I promised. My research concludes that Passiflora Tuberosa does in fact grow in Trinidad. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I think that is your plant...

Photo 1 is P. Boenderi, for comparison:

Photo 2 is P.Tuberosa:

Here is the flower from P.Tuberosa last season:

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmm im not sure, but it does look like it is!!!
    Siam.

• passifreak
    14 years ago

Hey passionlove,

I have a question!
    Where do you get the Passiflora tuberosa?

I love her flowers...
    Here in germany we have a other really cool Decaloba that called Passiflora Decaloba spec. Peru!
    She have wonderful flowers for a Decaloba.

Sry 4 my bad English!

• passionlove
    13 years ago

Hello passifreak,

I actually got the P.tuberosa at Butterfly World here in Florida last year. It is quite the rare find.
    I would love to see some photos of P.Peru if you have any.

• passifreak
    13 years ago

Hi,

I haven't one but I have a link...

http://www.hewo.nl/passiflora-species/O-S/Passiflora species peru.html

• eristal
    13 years ago

Oh, I like that flower, Passifreak!! I want it. It looks a bit like a P. bicornis or P. standleyi.

I would agree with Passionlove, that the closest thing the mystery plant seems to resemble is my P. tuberosa, but it is so hard to tell without flowers. Please update us as it grows and blooms.

Sponsored