Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imda14u29_gw

All 3 passies won't bloom

imda14u29
16 years ago

I am relatively new to passion flowers and gardening in general. I bought 3 passion flower plants last year in May. A Belotti & Caerulea, which were already in bloom when I received them and a pura vida, which wasn't in bloom. The Berlotti did very well last year and I had consistent flowering on that plant but this year it has not bloomed at all.

The pura vida has never flowered for me and the caerulea was in bloom when I purchased it but after that one blooming, it never bloomed again and that was last year in May.

I have loosened the soil and put in some fertilizer on all 3 of them. They have not grown very much at all and I don't really know why. They are in a west facing patio so they get full light most of the day. I do put a shade down so they don't get direct sun in the late afternoon. They are currently all in the containers they came in and I was planning on repotting them.

Please help my poor passies!

Comments (6)

• ibartoo
    16 years ago

I would definitely go ahead and repot them and then just let them kind of settle in. My caerulea and alata seem to bloom better when I don't feed them much at all. Hope it helps, Linda

• imda14u29
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can someone give me the proper instructions on how to repot a passie? I was planning on just taking the dirt out of the container it was currently in & put it into the new container. Is that correct or should I get rid of all the old medium & replace it with new. I read in some other posts that maybe I should cut the down so they can concentrate on blooming.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Why don't you plant them in the ground? What type of light to they get? My belotti and caerulea get full sun and bloom beautifully. I haven't grown the other. I also give my passies a bit of extra potassium by way of chopped banana peels. I just dig in a spoonful or two, depending on the size of the plant, of well chopped peels every 4-6 weeks. I'm not sure where I heard that potassium helps with blooming but it seems to work for me. I don't feed them very often, maybe every 6 weeks.
    Karyn

• imda14u29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I live in an apartment so I only have patio space for my flowers. They are getting full sun as they are in a west facing patio. I also put the shade down so they don't get direct sun during the late afternoon.

• rialira
    15 years ago

why are you putting the shade down? they need direct sunlight to bloom. I'm willing to bet that's why they're not doing much, passiflora generally need lots of light.

also in my experience, overfertilizing actually stops the plant from concentrating on blooming and makes it EXPLODE with new foliage growth instead.

I don't think I'd bother repotting it yet, especially if it hasn't done anything. I read somewhere that some plants actually NEED to be rootbound in order to flower in the first place.

btw, what are your ambient temps?

ria

• imda14u29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's been a year that I've had them and two of them are really not doing anything. Also the Belotti looks so very sad. I cut it down today hoping that would help. How often am I supposed to wait before I repot them? They have actually been in the same pot since I bought them.

I'm in Los Angeles so it's relatively warm. Lately, it's about mid 60s during the day.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths