Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

ID please

karyn1
16 years ago

I noticed this blooming downstairs yesterday but there's no tag in the pot. The flowers are pretty small, maybe 3" across and I don't believe that it has any fragrance but I'm stuffed up and can't smell anything anyway. I don't know if the tag was pulled out by accident or if this was one of the unnamed passies from seed. I wish it was warm enough to get all these plants outside already and I've run out of greenhouse space. The blooms on this one actually look nice but many of the passies blooming inside have washed out colors even though they are under metal halide HID lights.

Karyn

{{gwi:480089}}

Comments (6)

• abdielg
    16 years ago

Maybe its Passiflora 'Violetta'

• passionflow
    16 years ago

Ab I think you are right. It is P. caerulea à P. aff. oerstedii porphyretica. By Leopold Âevcic Czech Republic 1993. Note the unhealthy looking foliage. All of Leopold's hybrids from P. aff. oerstedii porphyretica are thought to carry a particularly unpleasant virus and the 'Violetta' should be kept separately from your other plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora 'Violetta'

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That might very well be it. This is the first time I noticed those yellow spots on the foiliage and wasn't sure what it was. My incense gets weird yellow blotches that are similar to that one but they are more like blotches then spots. That plant is only about 4' away from another passie so whatever it has very likely might have spread. What does this virus do? Should I bag the plant and dispose of it or just keep it away from the others? I'd hate to toss it as the flowers are so pretty. Thanks for the info.
    Karyn

• passionflow
    16 years ago

You do not want it infecting the other plants as they will look bad and I am quite sure some will die. Incense is known to have a die-back virus problem too. Infection is by biting insects moving from plant to plant or even by moving from plant to plant pruning without disinfecting tools.
    Violetta has a lovely flower but having grown it once I would not have it back as not worth the risk. Perhaps give it to a friend with no passion flowers. Check out my thoughts in the link about what to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora virus

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

The Incense virus isn't very troublesome--it only manifests as yellow spots when the plant is already stressed. Looks chlorotic, actually. I've never seen it cause a die-back (although I suppose it's possible in more unfavorable climes).

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm going to guess that it might have been transferred by aphids because I dip my shears in clorox between plants and I've been battling aphids inside and in the greenhouse all winter. Maybe I'll try putting that plant in my front yard as all my others are in the back and they'd be nowhere near each other. If it really starts looking funky I'll bag it but I will try some extra fertilizer along with some ST and B-1 to see if that has any effect. Thanks again for the info even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. lol
    Karyn