Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wirtlo

outside vs inside AND clip vs wrap

wirtlo
16 years ago

Hey all - I have found myself very fortunate to be renting a place with a dining area with large south facing windows that I've claimed as a plant area. (!!!) There is also a deck on the back that is west facing and only gets afternoon light.

They are growing nicely in front of the south windows. But I am wondering if they might flower/be happier in full sun on deck. The downside is they won't get any direct morning light, and it is incredibly dry in NV. How do P.ligularis and P.alata do in dry conditions? And do they need direct light to flower?

My other question is: is it better to wrap the vines back down around themselves or to clip the apical/leading growths and get more growth further down?

Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:1127934}}

Comments (2)

• louisianamark
    16 years ago

I think some passies need at least a couple of meters of growth on the main shoot in order to flower, so I would wrap once before clipping to get the side shoots.

• Krstofer
    16 years ago

I used to grow mine in Ca where I had single-digit humidity. So I wouldn't worry so much about that as long as you keep 'em watered. Once leaf wilt starts you have hours to get water to 'em before they die.

Wrap or cut.. Depends on how much of the plant you want to keep I guess. I usually wrap the first 10' or so of mine & then trim as needed every 6 months or so.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH