Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion flower with red stem?

Posted by bbms (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 21:18

I had a very nice x belloti that didn't last the winter. Not far from where it was, now are several passion flower-like sprouts. The leaves look like passion flowers, and they are vines. however, the leaf veins and vine stem look red. Could these be from the x bellotti? Thanks! Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion flower with red stem?

I don't know what zone you are in but maybe the roots survived the winter and are now sending up new growth. I don't recall seeing any red in my belotii stems but many plants have new growth that changes color as it ages. It couldn't be from seed as I'm pretty sure that belotii is sterile. Would it be possible to post a pic?

o

Thanks! Let's see if this works.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: belloti?

o

If you don't have any other varieties I'd say it's P. belotii back from the roots.

o

Our P. x belotii has some red stems. There are also many clones of this hybrid, so yours and mine may both have the red stem, and some others may not. Almost invariably, your roots survived, as just like Karyn said, this hybrid is infertile.

o
RE: Thanks!

I'm delighted to think the plant is coming back! It was the only passion flower plant within a 1/2 mile. Thanks again! Mark

o

Mark what zone are you in? I've heard that it's hardy into zone 7 but it's never survived the winter outside here.

o

"Lower Alabama," ie, Pensacola, FL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here