Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Lady Margaret growing tips

jblaschke
17 years ago

Howdy folks. I just stumbled across a beautiful Lady Margaret today at a nursery, so of course I had to buy it. I got it home and potted it up, and it is beautiful.

Now, do any of you out there who've successfully grown these have any suggestions on how to care for this one? Right now I've got it where it will catch morning sun until about noon, after which it will be mostly in shade. It's also somewhat breezy where it is situated. Do they stress when it gets hot out? We're supposed to top 90 F these next few days, and we're not even into summer yet. And are they picky about how much water they get?

Any information would be welcome. I've grown a number of passis but I've learned from (painful) experience that they don't all respond to the same treatment.

Comments (6)

• turtledon
    17 years ago

Lady Margaret will do well in full sun or partial shade. I grew it in my yard last summer. It did fine but did not grow much in hot dry weather. It grew best in early fall in 70 to 80 degree wet weather.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You grew it *in* your yard? Planted in the ground? Did it come back after winter?

• turtledon
    17 years ago

I cut it back in the fall and mulched it with a bale of straw. I'm still waiting to see if it will return. My incarnata are not up yet either. I'm not too woried cause I took the cuttings to start a bunch of new plants.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Let me know if it does pop back up. Wouldn't be all that surprising, with incarnata as a parent and all. If it can survive your winters, it would certainly survive here! That'd be a nice one to have in the ground.

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

I kept mine in the house, as I did not get it until it was too cold to plant it out, and I did not think it would survive here outdoors anyway. It bloomed like crazy all winter in a tiny little pot. My P. Elizabeth did survive outside, under about 5 inches of mulch. I had a backup indoors just in case. The live shoot is not doing much yet. My incarnatas are popping up all over, some two feet tall in less than two weeks. Incense is barely peeking up from the roots.

• chills71
    17 years ago

My incarnata haven't even poked through the ground yet. I'm not in a rush to go out and dig around, I'll just wait.

My Incense has been pretty badly hurt by spider mites. I broke down and got a systemic insecticide and I'm hoping it will kill the mites. I know, I know...Insecticidal soap and misting...Well, trying that I damaged my hardwood floors and have to refinish that area now. Also, it was a big project as I have quite a few passionflowers and I treated all of them so the mites didn't just move from one to the other.

My Vitifolia went through its slow decline, eventually losing half of its leaves and then regrowing and blooming (just finished a flush).

My Lavender Lady has grown very well, nothing slowed it down and its right next to the Incense. Its bloomed on and off since Christmas. Two blooms yesterday alone.

My bat winged (ok, I don't know the actual name of this one) has more than doubled in size (it was 4 inches tall back around Halloween). No mite damage, but it is quite a distance from the Incense.

My Edulis is looking great, I would still love a flower or two on this one. I grew them from seed, four + years ago and have yet to see a flower.

I've got another seed grown unknown one. This one has very fine leaves (not at all like Edulis' thich glossy leaves). It too is many years old and has not yet flowered either. It is definitely the most vigorous passion flower I have, but the leaves are small (the biggest are only 1-1 1/2 inches across)

I saw a Lady Margaret a few weeks ago, but my wife told me I had enough....(and since she didn't know about all the mail order plants I have coming in...I figured I had better not push my luck)

~Chills

oh yeah...I've got Cerulea (I'm misspelling that) seedlings, anout a dozen of them. I'm goint to try a few in pots and the rest outside.

I also have incarnata seeds planted as well as seeds that I got off of my Incense (pollenated by incarnata). But these have not yet sprouted...the seeds didn't float when tested though.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company