Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Fruit

jblaschke
16 years ago

I've had five fruit from my Amethyst drop--all Caerulea pollinated--and they've averaged 8-10 seeds in each fruit. The sparse fruit pulp isn't very pleasant for any of you out there that may be curious.

My Lady Margaret has three fruit that seem to be maturing happily--two caerulea pollinated and one Constance Eliott. My attempts with incarnata haven't taken. The fruit are interesting, in that they have darker green longitudinal lines running down them. Hopefully, there will be some viable seeds inside them.

And after years fruitless (ha) pollinations efforts on my part, my Incense has three fat fruit on it--two caerulea and one incarnata. It's willingness to fruit this year leads me to think that yes, plant maturity is a very big factor in getting Incense to hybridize. Will let everyone know when the fruit drop, and if they have any seed.

Comments (10)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'd love to know if you get any viable seeds from your Lady Margaret. I thought they were sterile and mine have never set any fruit even with hand pollination. I don't think I have any fruit holding on yet. Not a whole lot blooming here yet though and I haven't attempted any hand pollination. Some of the seedlings that I started last fall are growing really well, especially the amethystina. They are several feet long but no buds yet. The vitifolia and actinia are starting to take off. The rest of my seedlings are still pretty small. The age of the plant being a factor in fruiting makes sense. Hopefully I'll get more viable fruit this season. Are you going to plant the seeds you've collected? It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Good luck with the rest of your fruit.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know Lady Margaret has made several crosses. Two vitifolia crosses have been registered, and they really show their vitifolia parentage. I know Henk Wolters in Europe has crossed LM with caerulea, and gotten a pink flower out of the cross, but as far as I know, no LM x caerulea hybrid has been registered or released. They might not be vigorous or free flowering enough. I recall hearing that there have been LM x incarnata crosses as well, but haven't had any of my attempts take.

In any event, Lady Margaret isn't free fruiting. It doesn't produce pollen, but isn't completely sterile.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'm going to have to try pollinating my LM again. I just noticed that it has several buds that should be opening soon. Maybe by being inground this season it will be more vigorous and will hold some fruit. I just need some other passies to bloom that have pollen. lol The only ones I've had flowering the past few days are my LL and belotii. Neither of those produce pollen, correct? I should send you a list of my passies so you can tell me which are sterile. Except for the ones I have that have fruited I don't know what varieties will produce fruit or at least pollen. I just know what I think is pretty. lol
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

I have never tried to hand pollinate.. You sure give me the desire to..I guess my biggest problem.. as is Karyn's ..LOL Having pollen producing plants bloom at the same time. I also love all the pretty ones and most of them are hybrids...I'm hoping with the new ones I have gathered up I will get the chance.. BUT I'm certain I will be needing guidence..LOL I am looking forward to seeing what your seeds will produce..
    Chena

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

I have a number of LM seedlings growing now, mostly crossed with incarnata and a couple from a cross with P. edulis 'McCain'. Most of them have been worthless so far, low vigor and weak, but a few are strong and healthy. One of the crosses with incarnata looks very similar to LM, with bright red petioles and leaf veins. It is still a long way from blooming, maybe not until next year. Most of the LM fruits yield 3 good seeds. Some only have one and the most has been 7. About two out of every three dark seeds germinate. The fruit set is erratic, usually succeeding once in every 4-5 attempts.

~kiwinut

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Here is a photo of the best LM x incarnata seedling. The white speckles are from red spider mites, which I have now erradicated from all of my Passiflora with one application of Floramite.

~kiwinut

Here is a link that might be useful: Floramite SC in small quantities

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That seedling looks nice and healthy. I just had a bunch of blooms on my LM but the only other plant blooming at the same time was a LL. Most of my passies seem to be starting to form buds so hopefully I'll have something to pollinate it with soon. They are all pretty late here this season because we had such a cold spring and I didn't get them out until late. I also trimmed many of them back when I brought them outside because they had become kind of scraggly over the winter.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

Nice looking plant....Thanks for the link.. I havn't had any problem with spider mites but I know that can be hard to get rid of...
    Chena

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Spider mites are not an issue here outdoors in our humid climate, but indoors in winter they can get out of hand quickly. I never had spider mite problems until I received a passionflower from ebay a couple of years ago. It had red spider mites, something I had never seen before. They quickly spread indoors to other plants, and I have been trying to get rid of them since. They will kill some plants quickly, while others seem to tolerate them or slowly decline. I moved everything outdoors and sprayed once with Floramite a few weeks ago. No sign of them so far.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I've never seen a red spider mite. Do they look like regular spider mites? I have issues with spider mites when I winter over my plants inside. I have relatively few insect problems when the plants are outside and when they pop up they are easy to control with a hose and beneficial insects.
    Karyn