Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outinthegardenallday

Did my lack of patience kill off my passiflora?

Greetings all - I bought a passiflora, name unknown, last year in the Manhattan Flower District last year (picture below - no fruit but quite a "prolific" grower). I planted her in a terrific spot - next to our chimney where she received tons of sun. And she loved it...oh did she ever. That plant took off. Not knowing what to do with her overwinter (I'm in the middle of Long Island) one of you here directed me to a gentleman's website in Britain. He made a suggestion of taking a flat piece of styrofoam and placing it over the bottom of the plant to keep out rain and possible freeze/thaw.

This brings me to this Spring. The plant looked dead...nothing was coming up at the site. So I ripped it out yesterday. It wasn't dry, felt pliable but I figured it was dead. Then my husband looks at the roots and found two tiny pieces of new growth - much to my surprise.. Since I had already planted the area, I repotted the plant into some potting mix.

So what's your verdict fellow gardeners? I know I should have listened - mayPOP should have been my clue. Have I killed her off for good?

Thanks for your responses and please...no public flogging (although I certainly do deserve it!!!)

p.s. Upon further investigation, we found two pieces of vine growing through pacysandra that was to the left of the plant - although we can find it's "source) - rest assured, those I'm leaving alone!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!