Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibartoo

seeds in baggies.........

ibartoo
15 years ago

I have had the best success ever by planting my passie seeds in ziplock baggies of soil.

I had read an article about germinating seeds on paper towels or coffee filters in baggies. I tried that method and was sorely disappointed. my seeds either didn't germinate or the coffee filters were dry and the condensation was still in the baggie.

Anyway, the idea came to me to just put the potting mix in the baggie and dump the seeds right in that.

My germination rates increased exponentially and things that tended to dry out and never germinate before have started coming up.

I thought I was giving them heat too and then i realized my heat mat wasn't working. Maybe the ones that haven't germinated yet would benefit from a new seed mat.

I am not very patient at times so the thought of some of my passie seeds drying out before they ever had a chance to germinate just drove me to the edge......LOL

I have germinated different passie seeds, plumeria, dragon fruit cacti, and carambola as well as lots of others using this method.

Try it, I think you will like it.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz