Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mealy bugs under the soil???

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 9:20

My alata wasn't looking bad but hasn't put on much growth and this is the time of the year it should be going crazy. It had a few mealies while in the greenhouse over the winter which I thought had been eliminated. I checked the stems and foliage and didn't see anything. A couple days ago I noticed ants but still didn't see any aphids, scale or mealies but thought that maybe the ants had taken up residence in the pot. I decided to repot it in case the ants were there and when I unpotted it the portion of the main stem that was below the soil was completely encrusted with mealy bugs! There was a solid 2" of stem that looked white because there were so many. I hosed off all the soil and removed the mealies then hosed it off again and repotted in a new pot with fresh soil. Hopefully I got them all. I've never seen mealy bugs below the soil. Is that common? I usually see then on the stems and the undersides of the foliage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mealy bugs under the soil???

Hi karyn,

yes that is common, this winter I have alot of mealy bugs on my P. Manta and my P.serratodigitata. They're can be under the pot, too. I have a good toxic which kills them all after 1-2 days. It calles Bi58.

Artur

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here