Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outinthegardenallday

New to passiflora - questions

Good morning all. First time posting to this board. I work in NYC and was walking through the Flower district (what's left of it) when I heard my name being called out followed by "buy me and take me home." A beautiful passiflora. I've been meaning to get one of these beauties for quite a while.

I've brought her home on the train (there is nothing better to start conversations than bringing home a large plant on the train)...and I'm ready to get her into the ground.

I had a patio clematis that got killed off in the April freeze and my intent was to plant her in that pot. However I've made another spot next to my chimney which gets alot of sun and will hopefully provide the warmth she needs to overwinter in the garden.

For starters I've got a 5 foot trellis for her to latch on to...she's about two feet tall right now with many many blooms.

Is this trellis going to be sufficient? If not...can I let her gracefully drap over or should I give her a trim at some point and let the new shoots provide the flowers I'm after? How high is she going to get? I'm after flowers, not fruit.

What do you think of my idea to plant her near the chimney? This spot is right next to our vegetable garden and gets terrific sun. I'll mulch her over for the winter and, combined with the heat she'll get from the rocks of the chimney, do you think I've got a chance of her surviving the winter?

Many thanks for your responses.

Ciao,

OITGAD

Comments (6)

• chena
    16 years ago

Congrats and Welcome!!!
    Please bare in mind this IS NOT a rehab center..We are ALL enablers...LOL!!Sooo what Passi did you get..?? that will make a difference on the type of care required.. I also am a Z7.. ..Watch yourself these pretties are Very addictive...
    Blessings
    Chena

• karyn1
    16 years ago

You'll be looking for more varieties in no time. There are so many different colors, shapes and sizes. It will grow over 5 feet in a short time but you can train it back onto the trellis. I wouldn't trim it because you might reduce the number of blooms. Most can take a good deal of sun and heat but there are a number of varieties that like cool humid conditions. I'm no expert and only have about 20 different passies but it seems like the reds, purples, blues and whites can take a good deal of heat and sun. Most of my pink passies like it cooler and my yellows like shade. I'm sure that doesn't hold true for all varieties but that's what I've found with the ones I have. Depending on the variety you might need to winter it over inside. Very few passies can withstand zone 7 winters. Warm brick and a heavy mulch just won't cut it. I'm in 7a, near DC and I winter over all my passies indoors, even the hardy varieties. They winter over inside very well and you can cut them way back so they don't take up much room. Do you have any idea what variety you purchased? If not can you post a pic?
    Karyn

• outinthegardenallday
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what type she is. (And, as a pretty good gardener, I cannot tell you how embarrassing it is for me to admit that!) Based on the pictures I've seen, she's either an incarnata or caerulea.

I've looked at many pictures and have difficulty distinguishing the incarnata from the caerulea. Suggestions?

Ciao,
    OITGAD

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The foliage and flowers are different. They both have multilobed leaves but the caerulea has much thinner leaves. The stems on my caeruleas are also thinner. The caerulea has white & blue blooms. The incarnata blooms are more of a purple, bigger and the corona has longer filaments. Both are supposed to be cold hardy. I've always wintered my caerulea over inside. I'm going to leave some of the incarnata in the ground this year.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

P. incarnata is hardy here in my Z7 .My sister also grows this and she lives in Ks where sometimes the have snow and ice on the ground for weeks at a time.. Altho being in a pot may make a difference. If you choose to leave it out you can just take plenty of cuttings..msbatt has a brilliant way to to start cuttings with flora foam. I gave it a try and had a CE root in less than 2 weeks..and it takes up very little space..
    Thanks msbatt for sharing your seceret..
    Chena

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Caerulea has slender, five-lobed leaves. Incarnata leaves are much thicker and broader, generally three-lobed. Incarnata flowers often have curvy coronal filaments. It's really difficult to get these two confused. Might you be mixing up incarnata and it's popular hybrid, Incense? Those two are very similar except for flowers (Incense are huge, deep violet and very sweetly scented). Myles Irvine has a good explanation of how to tell them apart at his site, Passion Flow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Flow