Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuttings strangeness

Posted by jblaschke 8b TX (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 11:26

As I've posted downstream, I have a half-dozen or so incarnata cuttings in a propogation box. Several of them have sprouted and were putting on impressive amounts of new green leafy growth.

Here's the strange part: Friday a few of them suddenly started wilting. Major wilt. I was baffled, because other cuttings still were growing happily. I removed one (*very* carefully) of the wilted ones from the mix of perlite and peat moss, and was startled to see that there were NO roots whatsoever! None. So the cutting had sprouted but not set any roots, which is why, apparently, it wilted--because the stem alone couldn't support that new growth.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it common? Several of the cuttings that didn't wilt are putting roots through the bottoms of my peat pots, so I'm left wondering why some are rooting normally and others aren't...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings strangeness

That is weird. It hasn't ever happened to me and have no idea why it'd do that. I use wet florists foam, though, when rooting passiflora. I leave the leaves on the stem and just pull the ones off that are wilting or have dried, and usually a few leaves stay on there just fine. I've done this with edulis and morifolia. I tried lavendar lady but it wouldn't root at all. Anyway, good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here